Chapter Nineteen

Meredith continued to stare at the pictures, unable to move. No matter how fast her mind traveled, her body stayed still, staring forward. Someone had gotten into her room. Wait, had Meredith forgotten to lock her door or did someone have a key? Were they still here? Yet, Meredith didn't move. There were so many photos. How had the person gotten the old photos? Perhaps, it was Facebook, a Facebook friend, but Meredith thought she had wiped out all of the old friends or people she didn't trust when she started dating Harry. It was another form of protection. Someone had gotten through.

Jumping, Meredith almost fell to the ground. Someone pounded on the door behind her. She kept silent. Fear pushed through her, but the adrenaline didn't kick in. She was helpless.

"Ms. Rogue, it's Campus Safety," the officer called through the door.

Meredith wasn't willing to take the chance. She grabbed a scissors from her desk. Tiptoeing, she peered through the peek hole; it was Officer Lawrence, perhaps her favorite from Campus Safety. Sighing, she put the scissors back and thought of her options. How was she going to explain it? Well, she wasn't.

Opening her door, Meredith informed Officer Lawrence of the new evidence. Coming into the room, Officer Lawrence was at a loss of words. He had been on the job for twenty years, but this was the most he had seen any college student do. This was more than normal people did.

"I have to call the police," he said. "I don't know what to do."

"That makes two of us," Meredith muttered.

If it was on the University of Wisconsin- Superior's property, Campus Safety dealt with it. An inch away from campus, the Superior Police Department dealt with it. It was only in special cases, like violence (also known as Meredith being punched in the face) or more help necessary that the Superior police came in. It was the latter.

It took ten minutes for the police to show up, even though the headquarters was only three blocks away. Meredith heard sirens all the time, but there weren't any sirens for her. It was probably a good idea. The police glanced around, unsure of what to do.

Meredith waited in the hallway outside her room as officers and detectives came and went. All of her residents, with their friends, whispered as they went past, trying to get a look in. All were unsuccessful. The police kept the door shut at all times. Eventually, Meredith's boss, Tianna, showed up and took her RA downstairs.

When police came, Meredith answered all the questions, truthfully. Truthfulness was difficult, especially for Meredith in a time like this. She wanted to protect Harry, but he was obviously protected. The problem was here, not on the other side of the world. The last time Meredith had really spoken to police, back in Scotland, she had to be careful what to say. Meredith laid everything out on the table now.

"So, we're going to put you up in a hotel room tonight," a police officer said.

"No. I'll stay in my room tonight," Meredith disagreed.

"I don't think that's a good idea."

"You're done in my room, aren't you?"

"Yes, but--"

"Don't waste your money. It's probably my own fault, I probably left my door unlocked," she lied. Standing, Meredith kept an even gaze with the police officer. "Thank you."

Her room was locked again when she came in. Meredith kept all the lights on with the blinds closed. Meredith gripped a pair of scissors in her hand as she checked around the room, especially under her bed, it was clear. Meredith didn't let loose yet, as she felt like she was being watched. Meredith was careful as she checked for cameras or anything; she learned not to trust. The lock on her door wasn't enough, obviously, and Meredith jammed a chair under the handle, keeping the door fully shut.

Tiredness threatened to sweep over Meredith, especially as it grew closer and closer to midnight. She couldn't sleep. She needed Harry here now, with his arms wrapped around her, with that smirk on his face and mystery in his eyes. She didn't need his protection, but she needed his love. Midnight came and went, with all eyes still on, and then it turned to four in the morning.

Slowly Meredith pulled out her phone and dialed Harry. "Hey," she said when he answered.

"Mere? What is it?" He swallowed. "Are you okay? Mere?"

"I'm fine." Meredith sniffled. "Physically." She rubbed her face, finding it wet. Weakness was apparently her thee of the day. "Someone broke into my room, and," she said everything to him. Harry grew more and more still by the second, until becoming Medusa's stone. "Jack is still in prison, right?"

"Yes."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, Mere, I'm sure."

"Can you please check?" Tears burned her eyes. Her chest tightened, not allowing her to breathe. Rolling off her bed, she landed on the floor on all fours. She chest thundered. Her mind wouldn't work. Her body trembled. Terrible sounds escaped her lips as she tried to breathe. She couldn't get enough air. Her whole body shook. The ground moved up and down, like she was on a constant roller coaster. Meredith heard her heart in her ears, pumping and pumping and pumping. Her chest was too tight, like her bones constricted. Her heart felt ready to explode.

Blinking away tears, her sobs stopped. Meredith stared down at the blue carpet of her rug on her floor. Releasing her fingers from the rug, heavy strands came out of it. Her body started to tire more. Her mouth turned bone-dry. Meredith's head hurt, as it sat too heavy to be on her neck. Buzzing awoke her ears.

"Mere!" a voice yelled at her. "Mere!"

"Harry," Meredith hushed him, "please."

"Mere!"

"Shut up!" she screamed, grabbing at her throbbing head. She placed her hands over her ears, trying to make it stop. Snatching her phone from the ground, Meredith looked at Harry once again. Her heart slowed. She focused on him and only him. "Harry," she cried.

"Mere."

"I'm sorry." Heavy tears slid down her face, drowning herself. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry."

"No, Mere, no--"

"I'm sorry. I'm weak. I'm--"

"No," Harry said adamantly, "no. You're not weak. This is okay. You don't have to be sorry. I'm sorry."

"No--"

"My turn," Harry said. "I should've protected you more. I should've been there from the beginning. I should've--"

Meredith groaned and lied on the floor.

"Mere, I will protect you, even if I have to come to Superior, Wisconsin."

"No. That'll only make it worse. You'll bring the paparazzi here. They'll want pictures."

Harry nodded. "Do you trust me, Mere?"

"Are you going to make a stupid decision?"

"Maybe."

Meredith considered his words. "I trust you, Harry. I trust you."