Chapter Six

By the time Meredith returned to her dorm room at seven-thirty at night, she was ready to climb into her bed. Her homework didn't allow for that. Also, she at some point would have to eat. Meredith closed herself in her room, locking the door. The only time she would leave again tonight was when she would go to the bathroom before bed. Thursday's were always the worst, and Thursday nights meant for her never to be disturbed. It was TGIT: Grey's Anatomy, Scandal and How to Get Away with Murder. After three hours of German, Meredith just needed some time to not think.

Meredith had just settled in when her phone started ringing. Groaning, she reached over and grabbed it. "Don't you ever sleep?" she asked. "It's like one in the morning."

"I hadn't spoken to you today," Harry replied.

"If you're in tomorrow for me but I'm speaking with you today, does that mean we don't have to speak tomorrow, which is your today?"

"Don't you miss me, Mere?"

"Yes, you know I do, but we didn't always speak every day."

"I'm call you to make sure everything is okay."

"Everything is okay." Meredith matched his eyes. "Yes, I talked to the paparazzi today."

Harry gave her a look. He had high hopes that she might take his advice and not engage with the paparazzi. But he knew her well, and he knew she wouldn't listen. He still got his hopes up. By the look on Meredith's face, she wasn't going to apologize. She didn't feel bad about this, yet. It was only a matter of time before her talking the paparazzi came up and bit her in the ass. Harry wished it wouldn't happen, but he knew.

"Are you going to scold me?" Meredith asked Harry.

"Mere, I just wish you wouldn't--" He stopped, biting his lip. "I can only warn."

"People are already talking about it, so we might as well." Meredith knew, though. She took a bite of her mac and cheese. "I know you can't, and I haven't really said anything that I'm dating your or not, but rather that I'm using my fifteen minutes of fame."

"That can be bad, Mere. Those fifteen minutes of using that you're using, they can bring those things back on you. Anything you say, it will come back at some point."

"I've been pretty silent, so far. There have been a few things, Harry." Anger boiled in her. "I can't just.... What would you have me do? Be quiet?"

"No, Mere." Harry's anger spiked too. "I want to speak with you. I don't want to argue with you. I do miss you, Mere, so rather than arguing, let's just talk about how our days were. Tell me a story. Anything."

She sighed. "I wore heels today, and I looked damn good."

"I know." Harry smiled, blushing slightly. "I saw the pictures."

Meredith smiled, rolling her eyes. "I'm not even going to go there, but I hope you enjoy the pictures. What did you do today?"

"I had an event, and tell me about your classes."

"What?" she asked. "Why do I have to speak about my day?"

"Well, how was it?"

"I had political science. We talked about our upcoming project on refugees. My group is doing our presentation on the education in refugee camps, which by the way, isn't a lot." There was a heavy tone of bitterness. "Then I had a break for a good four hours, and I wanted to take a nap, but sadly I didn't get that. I wrote my next article."

Harry stiffened.

Easily, Meredith noticed. "What?"

"About that...."