Chapter Forty-Six

Wading in the water, Meredith dipped below the surface again. Clear, blue water drifted around her. Slowly pockets of air floated up. She hadn't gone too far from shore, but Meredith no longer had the ability to touch the bottom. She feared going out too far.

Coming to the surface again, heat pushed on her. Everything was too bright. The water reflected back into her eyes. Blinking, Meredith twirled in the water. She found the shore, and laying on the shore, Harry almost blended into the sand. He had put on sunblock, but what was the worst that could happen?

Diving back under the water, she kicked forward, holding her breath. Around her, it was silent. No motors fluttered above. All sea life has disappeared as well. She kicked forward. Coming up, she took a deep breath before plunging down again. Her feet hit the sandy bottom, and she stood up. Meredith stood up, looking for Harry on the beach.

He waved. "How was the swim?" Harry asked, giving her sunglasses. 

"Good." Meredith laid down next to him and put on the sunglasses. "Getting a tan?"

"I'm getting a burn."

"It might match your hair." Rolling over, Meredith's back was now exposed to the sun. At least she got a good look at Harry. "How's the book?"

"A little complicated. A lot confusing," he said, holding Brave New World in his hands. "Is 1984 any better?"

"It all depends on how you pick your poison." She kissed his chest and then put her wet head down. His heart beat calm and evenly. "You're the one who wanted to read the books."

"Well, with the current political atmosphere, I thought it was necessary." Harry focused on the book again, but it didn't help. For the life of him, the connections weren't made. It was because of Meredith, he knew; he was so distracted by being around her. Harry tried to read while she saw, but he kept looking out to see where she was. Most times he just saw the waves. "I thought books were supposed to help you escape."

"They are, but you're reading something politically active. Anyway," she sighed, "you're on holiday. This is where you escaped."

"I escaped with you."

"I escaped from my old life."

"What did you have to escape?"

"Boredom, people, homework, people."

Harry laughed, making Meredith's head bounce. "Now who did you want to escape?"

"It's vacation," she groaned. "Don't make me think about them." It was work and residents, friends and acquaintances. All of them tired her. Sometimes it was petty things that they brought up and sometimes it just didn't end well with them. Meredith was good at making enemies as well as friends. Stepping on toes wasn't a problem. On vacation, she ignored them all.

His fingertips brushed through her drying hair. Harry knew she would go back to the water as soon her hair was dry; he couldn't keep her away for long. He thought about joining her. However, she would always out swim him.

Meredith sat up and hovered above him. She smirked. Reaching up, Harry brushed hair out of her face. "What?"

"I so badly just want to escape with you."

"We have escaped."

"Just go back with you, Harry," she explained. "I'm so close."

"Don't come back with me." He kissed her. "Go back to university." He kissed her. "Study." He kissed her. "Leave me." He kissed her.

Meredith laughed. "I feel like you're giving mixed signals." Straddling him, Meredith sat on his lap. She continued to kiss him. "I have to go back."

"You have to go back." He kissed her.

"Yeah." Meredith blushed as Harry kissed her neck. His arms wrapped around her body, pulling her close. "I have to graduate." He went a little lower. "I have to get a job." He went a little lower. "I have to--" Meredith let out a gasp. Her fingers ran through his hair. "Careful, Harry."

"Hmm?"

"Someone might see."

"Who?"

She laughed and then stood up.

"No," Harry groaned, not letting go of her hand.

"Come with me." Meredith pulled on his hand. "Come swimming. Go surfing."

"I don't know how to surf."

"Find out."

Still pulling on her hand, Harry finally gave in and followed her up. After grabbing the surfboard, the two went into the water. It was refreshing and perhaps a little chilly. Meredith splashed around and jumped into waves. Clinging onto the surfboard, he paddled out with her. Meredith swam happily, diving under water before coming back up.

Harry crawled up onto the surfboard, casting his gaze out to the horizon. He had seen boats come and go, none lasting too long. The paparazzi were smarter than being in boats this close to shore; they were trickier than that. Yet, Harry wanted to believe they didn't know; it was still her and him.

"See anything nice?" she asked.

Directing his eyes down again, Harry smiled at his girlfriend. "You."

Meredith put up her hands. "Help me up?" Harry pulled up onto the board, and Meredith stood. She glanced out to the horizon, too, but found nothing of interest. Her green eyes found him in the craze of blues. Meredith smiled, biting her bottom lip. "Are you scared of the water?"

"No."

"Jump in, then."

"No."

Meredith arched her eyebrow.

"I'm not scared."

"Prove it."

Standing up, Harry came eye to eye with her. "I can jump in whenever I want. It's shallow enough anyone."

"Can't swim, Harry."

"I'm not as good as you."

Rolling her eyes, Meredith pushed him off the surfboard. Harry hit the sea water with a splat before disappearing under the surface. Harry held his breath under water, swimming underneath her. He came to the surface and smiled at her.

"Is this what you wanted?" he asked, out of breath.

"Yes."

"And what's my prize for swimming?"

"Exercise."

Harry laughed and then flipped the board. Meredith went crashing into the water with a scream. He laughed again and dove back under.

Clear air bubbles floated upward. The sun had begun to set above, causing the water to become slightly darker. Meredith pushed down, touching the bottom. Searching the bottom, she found a shell and pushed through the water. His eyes burned but stayed open. She played the light pink shell in his hand, happy with her find. He nodded, approvingly.

He tried to kick up, but Meredith dragged him down. Before he could give her a warning look, Meredith slapped her lips into his, forcing his mouth with her tongue. Air breathed into his lungs, hot and humid from her lungs. Her green eyes were wide as she watched him in happiness. Harry melted around her. Floating back, she let him climb to the surface.

Harry gripped onto the surfboard, taking deep breaths. Meredith came up a few seconds later, pushing her hair back. Smiling, Meredith hung off the surfboard too.

"See, swimming can be fun."

Rolling his eyes, Harry climbed onto the board and pulled Meredith up with him. With her leaning against him, they watched the sunset.

********************

Mid-terms are happening this week at college and spring break is next week (here I come, California), so updates won't be as usual.