Chapter Forty-Eight

"Last chance," he said. "You don't have to leave paradise. You don't have to leave me. You can stay a few extra days, with the warmth and the water. You can stay a few extra days with me. Think of all the fun we can have, Mere."

She smiled. "I have work and you should go do work too. I'm sure you have things to do, like be pretty or whatever."

Harry batted his eyelashes. "That is a full time job." Looking over to the clock, Harry knew the time. They only had a few more minutes left until Bodyguard Bill would be here soon.

"I have news," Meredith said, drawing him back. "I might be graduating university even earlier, so that would be us together."

"Do you think you will?"

"I seem to be able to graduate after my junior year, which I wouldn't mind at all-- but I'm not entirely sure yet. It depends how far I can get on my political science minor, even though I don't need it."

"Are you sure you want to graduate that early?"

It was a year earlier, when Meredith had been planning for just a semester early. She wanted to get out of college; she wanted to start a new life. She wanted to do things; she wanted to go. At the same time, as soon as she left college, Meredith would be stepping into the real world. It was scary and exciting. For how many years she spent in college and how many years she would spend with Harry, it all seemed like too much, like she was running out of time. But she had the rest of her life, which was hopefully long.

"I don't know," she admitted. "I had plans but plans change." Prince Harry came into her life; of course plans changed. "We have to change with them."

"So make your current plans change and stay with me for a few more days."

"No, I can't get fired from my job. Imagine the uproar that Prince Harry's girlfriend can't keep a job. I'm sure people would like me." Meredith stood up, but the sun didn't blind her. White curtains had been pulled down, blocking anyone from seeing inside. A few boats floated on the horizon, waiting for either Meredith or Harry to step out. She wanted to go swimming one last time, but Meredith could only bluff so much before she folded.

"Boats?" he asked.

"Three," she responded. "I see some of them have long black things near their faces."

"Cameras with massive lens."

"Are you sure they can't see me through the shade?"

"They shouldn't be able."

"Oh, so I might see my naked body on magazines." Sighing, Meredith began to get dressed. Her eyes kept studying the paparazzi on the boats. Sometimes the cameras were pointed at the private villa, and other times, the men just stood there, waiting.

Harry rolled out of bed and came behind her, looking through the white curtain too. "Oh, you have a face."

"I do. It is physical."

"Not what I meant. You have a face, like you're going to do something."

"I am." Meredith walked away, escaping before Harry could grab her.

Truthfully, he thought about going after her, but he didn't wear any clothes. Whatever she was about to do was better than him running outside naked. Through the white curtains, Harry saw Meredith escape onto the patio. She wore a tank top and shorts. The paparazzi raised their cameras and took photos. Pulling out her mobile, she took a few photos of the paparazzi. For a minute, she stood on the patio for a minute, at a stare down with the paps. Smiling, Meredith went back inside the villa.

Harry walked around the corner, after having put on pants. "Really?"

Meredith shrugged.

"What are you going to do with those?"

"I'm not sure yet. I have a few supports via Tumblr; perhaps I'll anonymously give them the photos."

"They'll know it's you."

"Anonymously," she repeated. "It'll be a present for them."

"What will they do with the pictures?"

"Post them, share them. They're smart; I'm sure people will notice, especially if more and more photos are given to them of the paparazzi."

"You're going to shame the paparazzi?"

"I'm not sure shame is the right word."

"They've seen their damage, Mere. I don't think they'll start caring now."

"I think they have to care," Meredith said. "Everyone has to care. Everyone can care. I believe the paparazzi, in some way, know that this wrong, but money makes people do crazy things."

"It's greed."

"Some of it, I agree, but I think they do it for a reason. People have to make money somehow, and it's so easy to take a photo, especially with how technology is. Harry, I believe there is good in people. I believe the paparazzi can be good, and I'm not going to run away from them."

"The paparazzi that are in Superior, some are bad and some are good, but--"

"We have an understanding when they show up. It's only sometimes that bad things happen, but I believe they are good people. Most of the paparazzi are fine."

"They're taking pictures of our holiday!"

"We're in public, Harry."

"We're not, Mere. We're at a private villa."

"The ocean is for everyone. They can come and go as they please." Walking over, Meredith wrapped her arms around his center, looking straight into their eyes. "Is this how you really want to spend your last few minutes with me before we part again? Do you want to talk about the paparazzi?"

"No." Harry held her tightly. "I want to talk about how I'm going to think of you everyone moment until we see each other again. I want to talk about how I'm going to miss you with every part of me. I want to talk about how I'm going to dream about you until I see you again."

"Five months isn't too long."

He sighed. "Don't say it aloud. Five months is too."

"We're strong, Harry. Five months will pass without us realizing it. You'll go back to your old life of making women blush just by speaking to them, charming the pants off people-- not physically," Meredith said sternly. "You'll do events, and you'll tell me of all the fun. You're wear the monkey suits of tuxes. You'll smile and wave."

"You'll go learn some things."

"Like what? I already know everything."

"I'm sure." He kissed her.