Prologue

Prologue

The large spherical room was lifeless and unwelcoming as she was led forth, her hands bound by an unseen force. Her feet were shackled as well, but again were weightless and mute with her step. Her usual long blonde hair that framed her face was tied back and the remainder of her hair was flowing freely against her back. An involuntary shiver racked her body as the coldness of the room enveloped her completely. The gravity of her current predicament probably didn’t easy her body’s response. The sound of her bare feet upon the marble ground was the only sound except for the occasional brush and ruffle of clothing.

The guards on either side of her were silent and resolute in their steps. They stopped without warning, and the young woman had just enough time to survey her surroundings. The great room was exquisitely carved floor to ceiling from the finest of pale marble. The spherical design was both modern and regal, yet it held a certain impersonal atmosphere. It was no wonder because many never saw, nor wished to see these walls.

Her body shook once again from the frigid temperature of the room. Her thin white tunic was not nearly enough to retain her warmth and the delicate solid gold bracelets around each wrist suddenly burned at her skin. It was surprising that her breath had not yet materialized in the thin air.

“Please, do step forward,” a calm voice spoke quietly, yet echoed throughout the large chamber.

The guards eased their grip on her arm and gently pushed her forward until she was face to face with an imposing figure. He was seated at the center marble chair. The royal family sat at either side of him. His distant golden eyes focused on hers for but a minute before he stood and gracefully flick his wrist free of his sleeve. With the movement, her hands and feet were instantly unbound, and she rubbed her wrist gratefully.

“Mrs. Dyer,” he began. His voice steadfast and calm. “Do you understand why it is you are here … why you now stand in front of the High Council?” he asked.

She tried to remain calm as her pulse quickened and her bottom lip quivered with anxiety. She lowered her head as she spoke, “I do.”

“And do you realize such an act is grounds for immediate banishment?”

“It was an accident –”

“Premature death by the hands of another, whether deliberate or not, is murder, Mrs. Dyer. I would have expected you to understand this concept considering your age and … occupation.” He spat the last word with much disdain. How were laws and values supposed to be taught to children when their own mentors disregarded them with such blatant actions? “Regardless, I’m certain you understand both the gravity of your actions, and the punishment for such. Therefore, this council has already drawn the necessary conclusion, as well as the punishment.” He finished quickly as he looked passed her and nodded towards the guards.

Her breathing hastened as they both took hold of her arms and began to lead her to a hollowed out section of wall. She locked eyes with the condemner and pleaded silently with him, but his eyes never gave a gleam of hope. Instead it was the same cold expression he had always held.

The guards directed her to the center of the small hollow and released her yet again before stepping back. 

Tears that had managed to stay concealed, where now flowing freely against her fair cheeks. The gold bands against her wrists vibrated violently until her hands were forcibly lifted and drawn to the golden grab bars on the side of the wall. She was now contained, like a feral beast awaiting its punishment by lashing. However, her punishment would be far worse than a simple, inhuman and uncivilized lashing.

This was only the beginning, and fear was now raging within her. She was not beyond begging. “Please have mercy, Your Majesty. I am with child,” she pleaded.