Chapter IX - Darkness is Deceiving (Part II)

Chapter IX- Darkness is Deceiving (Part II)

Tiny particles of glass sparkled against the sunbathed room as they descended to the ground in a rain-like fashion. The resounding crash still echoed within the large room as the unfortunate glass chalice made contact with the dark stone wall. The force behind the raged throw was astounding. The air in the room changed in an instant – full of tension, and so thick one’s lungs screamed at the deprivation. Occupants sat ramrod still in fear one stray movement might instigate an attack. The sweet perfume of burgundy wine, which infiltrated the space, didn’t even cause nostrils to flair. 

“I nearly gave you my throne!” Her breathing labored from the exertion of hurling glass at the wall, not even hitting her intended target, though it had been mere inches from his head. She continued, “Handed it to you on a crystal platter. Even went as far as to tell you when and how to overtake the guards. When she would be vulnerable! And this is how you repay me? By contacting me to inform me just how my plan was failing? You incompetent fool! Have you paid naught a single speck of attention these past several years? ANSWER ME!”

Lord Tryon recoiled at her tone. “Yes, madam, I know the plan well.”

She huffed, rolled her eyes, and slammed her palms down on the table in irritation. “If that were indeed true, then you would not have sent for me. Panic would not have been laced within your words. You would have known and seen exactly how my flawless plan was taking shape. You would have seen the cogs falling seamlessly into their place, and you would have laughed and smiled with absolute glee upon witnessing it.

“My apologies, madam.”

She waved him off in dismissal as she walked over to the large floor to ceiling window, and peered out. Her long, neatly manicured nails tapped at the windowpane. “My daughter, as worthless of a gorgon as she might be, is still integral to this plan,” she spoke as she watched ingrates mill about in the market square. They are living too well, she thought. “She is leading her right where we want them.”

She turned back to Lord Tyron and the few in his council, and walked back to the elongated table to take her seat at the head. Her steps graceful as her black and maroon dress flowed with her movements. She sat and snapped her fingers for a new glass and wine. “Pity, I could have seen having more use with her.  That insufferable child! She might not have had the intellect to rule a kingdom, but she had a sickening kindness that allowed her power over others … something I didn’t have. Shame I didn’t notice it before. So many could have fallen under her influence. Bend to her every will and then snap their neck once their usefulness came to an end. All the power she could have had…that I could have had…and yet she pissed it away. This grand, powerful gift I bestowed upon her. A throne, a kingdom…power, and she snubbed it away.”

Silence once again overcame the room. No one dared speak. Except Lord Tyron, that is. “She was ungrateful, madam.”

Kali’s gaze met his swiftly and sought to melt the flesh away. “Of course she was! Don’t insult me with something as trivial and known as such. Get him out of my sight,” she called to no one in particular. “We have them right where we want them. The path has been taken. All that’s left is to wait. And I’ll be at the other side to greet them.”

“What about the threats beyond the boundary?” another man spoke. He was seated next to Kali, his dress different from her own. Much lighter in color. “Will they not be a distraction?”

“I know our daughter well,” she said to him. “She will let nothing get in the way of her redemption. That’s what she desires, you see. Atonement for her crimes. She wishes for all the people in the realms to see her for who she really is. For her truest love to see her for who she is. And do you know what? They will. They all will see who she is. I will show them what a monster I bore. And her love? Well, what’s love without agonizing heartbreak, or so I’m told. I wouldn’t know much concerning that. Love showcases your weak points. Makes you vulnerable. What do you think would have happened should I have loved our daughter? She would have been my weakness. Something for someone else to use as leverage against me. I couldn’t have that. And now look where we are. I have the most power yet, and my own flesh and blood has helped me receive it, and before too long, she, along with the demigod, will grant me the most power of all. No one will dare oppress me again.”