Chapter XX - A Great Injustice

The next morning, Emri woke with an unusual feeling. Her body felt refreshingly sore (a welcomed change) and it buzzed with delightful energy. She stretched fully against the bed, and her muscles voiced their approval through a soft grunt. She let out a sigh of relief as she sank down into the soft bedding and relished in the warmth that encompassed her right side. Grinning ear-to-ear in absolute elation, she glanced to her side and appreciated the pure and unguarded sight bestowed upon her. Here, Nora appeared the most relaxed and at peace. Her features were smooth, unlike many mornings where Emri had woken to Nora’s tense and fitful body and her face pinched in terror, fear, or pain. But not here. Not now, when she seemed most childlike—a wonderful innocent sweeping over her weary and careworn body. She had witnessed so many horrors, Emri was just thankful she had this peaceful rest.

Careful to not disturb Nora, she eased out of bed, and slipped on her underwear and pulled on her shirt, leaving it unbuttoned. She walked over to the window and ran her fingers over the drapes that had remained unclosed throughout the night. As she peered out, she realized the streets below were unnervingly calm. Emri looked up to the still dark sky and saw the ominous vortex still spinning above, but it was calm, proving no threat at the moment.

She turned from her spot and her eyes settled on the woman still wrapped within the blankets. The scene was oddly reminiscent of Emri’s last time at her home, except this time was entirely different. She mentally scolded herself for thinking such thoughts, but for her, they only solidified her feelings. With Mary, there had never been any emotion. It was simply a means to an end. But with Nora … Gods! Her heart swelled with joy and happiness. This time it was completely different.

Nora’s dark hair was tangled and fanned out on her pillow, and she was sleeping peacefully. It had been some time since Emri had seen the once powerful Empress sleep so soundly and without plight. She walked back over to the bed, and sat down at the edge within an arm’s distance from Nora. She reached out and stroked a few strands of hair from Nora’s face, and tucked them behind her ear. At the movement, a set of beautiful hazel eyes opened to greet her.

Her breath hitched when they met hers. That was going to take some getting used to.

“Hey,” Emri whispered, grinning happily as her fingers combed through dark locks.

“Morning,” Nora said, her voice gravelly with sleep. “What’s the hour?”

“Early,” she answered as she climbed back in bed and lay next to Nora under the covers. She opened her arms and Nora moved to settle against her, her head resting on Emri’s chest. “How were you resting?”

Nora hummed in contentment and responded, her voice low with a hint of amusement, “Well, darling, from what little sleep I did get,” she began, looking at Emri with a soft smile as her fingers traced the length of her collarbone, “it was the best I remember.”

She peppered Emri’s chest, neck, and shoulders with lazy kisses; too tired to move, yet unable to stop her motions. They both giggled softly; their chests jerking with the fast movement, as they reveled in their shared happiness.

“Why were you up?” Nora whispered; her breath and lips caressing skin. “Was something troubling you?” she asked, concerned.

Emri smiled and shook her head as she brought Nora’s lips up to hers and kissed her. “I just wanted to check. Make sure everything wasn’t fallin’ to pieces outside all the while we’re in here.”

“Perhaps we should leave,” Nora suggested as she fingered the thin material of Emri’s open shirt. “End it all sooner rather than later.”

“No,” Emri said surely.  “It can wait a little longer. It’s waited this long, it can withstand another hour or two.”