Chapter XIII - New Beginnings

She walked the long line, surveying the hundreds who stood before her. They varied in size, occupation, age, experience and wealth. A medley of men ready to do her bidding. Lord Tyron walked by her side, pleased with himself for gathering such a robust group. Kali saw it on his face, and yearned to wipe the pleased grin from it.

She scoffed as she stared at one man in particular. He was blind in one eye as well as a mute, a result from having his tongue cut out. His ratty and stained clothes looked several sizes too large, a true testament considering his stout stature. Yet beside him stood a scrawny, lanky little thing, barely fit to carry her wine yet alone a steel sword.

The bright early spring sun shined down on the courtyard. It was mid-afternoon, and the rays accentuated their grimy appearances, their greasy hair glistened in the light. She grimaced while continuing her appraisal. 

 She pulled a clean cloth from her belt and proceeded to wipe imagined filth from her hands. “These were all the men you could rally to our cause?” she asked, seeming indifferent. Her heeled boots muffled by the emerging grass and moist dirt.

“Yes, My Lady. One thousand able-bodied men, just as you requested.”

“Ages?”

“Youngest is sixteen, oldest is thirty-eight.”

She considered his words as she glanced around, moving strands of wayward hair from her face. The wind was fluid this day. “And are they capable of holding a sword?”

“They are our finest laborers, My Lady. Blacksmiths, farmers, carpenters, thatchers, masons, farriers. Their arms are strong.”

“That is not what I asked.” Impatience colored her words.

He swallowed; his former satisfaction now in question.   

“Never matter. I’m looking for numbers more than capabilities,” Kali said as she continued her walk, stopping often to examine her forces. “If they are too inept to hold and swing a sword, then they deserve whatever fate they meet. I’m in need of a distraction,” she said, turning to Tyron and signaling to move to a more private conversation. They left leaving the hundreds of men to the guards appointed to their care.

Kali and Tyron walked to a nearby shade tree which was just being to get its spring growth. “Neither realm is expecting this move,” she began. “They’ll be blindsided. My dolt of a first love expects us to rule side-by-side. Our kingdoms separate while we alone hold all the power. But you see, I do not desire to share. I will take all that’s mine. The kingdoms will fall. They all will bow to me—The Empress of Thrice. Light, dark, and gray will be no more. We will all be equal under my reign. These men here will enter each of the two realms, five hundred at a time. Plenty enough to overwhelm the inhabitants, and while they are plaguing the cities with chaos, I will make my move. I will have my daughter, and she will serve her purpose. Then the demigod will play her part. At each and every moment, a leader will fall. Arturo will die, along with everyone else who oppose me. My daughter will be sacrificed, the demigod will perish, and I will stand on my throne and watch the realms burn. But life always rises from the ashes. It will be glorious.”

“A true sight, Majesty.”

“And will you stand by me, Tyron, Lord of the Dark?”

“For as long as you reign, Majesty.”

“Then you shall have a place by my side.”

“Your Majesties!” Someone calls to them. Whoever it is, they are drawing closer. Kali looks off to her right and finds a young boy, no older than thirteen, racing toward them, his face red and covered in sweat.