Chapter VI - Light Meets Dark (Part II)

A/N: Final part to Chapter V. This is fairly long so please keep in mind that this chapter, and the work as a whole, is unedited and only proofed by my repeated read-throughs, which certainly doesn’t catch everything. I’m human, and by nature, make mistakes. As always feedback is appreciated. :) Hope you enjoy the final part of Chapter V!

 Chapter VI - Light Meets Dark (Part II)

Once Emri left Nora, she and Ryker met with the Senior Council Members who had traveled to the dark realm. To her utmost dissatisfaction, Alok was in attendance as well as Kael, Lord Tyron, of course, Raya from the White, and Catriona and Gareth from the Grey.

“Nora has agreed to help, all she asks is to be freed,” Emri stated with satisfaction as she leaned against the smooth table top, palms down. She looked to the other council members as she addressed them.

Alok laughed deep in his throat with contempt. “Well, that’s not asking for much is it?” he asked sarcastically, but Lord Tyron dismissed him.

“Fine, she’ll be released. But she is to remain under your watch, Advisor. Under no uncertain terms is she to leave your sight. She might have agreed to aid you, but she still cannot be trusted … you best remember that.”

They went back into the prison room, and a few of the council members followed. Emri looked at Nora as her eyes traveled south to her marked hands.

“I want those off of her.” Emri said firmly. For some reason, it felt odd to see her former friend reduced to such a state. She had been marked before, but these markers were different. The skin around and buried beneath the metal was red and angry. Pockets of yellow and white skin were enough of an indication to know they had been improperly fitted and were infected. The Gods only knew how long they had been like that. Red streaks were running parallel to her arm, and Emri knew that as a sign of blood poisoning; an incorrect dose of the marking material could do such a thing, as well. All these thoughts sickened Emri. She wasn’t just looking at a wicked Empress who had done unmentionable acts, that’s who everyone else saw, but she was also looking at her best friend, at least until their paths broke.

“What? Her bindings?” Alok asked. Disbelief colored his tone.

“No, her receptors.” Emri clarified in annoyance.

Whispers were heard behind her back, and Nora watched her carefully. “We don’t have the authority to remove those,” Gareth declared in dismay.

“Removal of one’s receptors is a crime punishable by death, Miss Dyer. They’re not only a necessity for living, but also for marking one’s status within the Realms.” Alok stated with superiority. An arrogant smile twisted his face. Emri wanted to throttle him and hold her grip until he was within an inch of his life.

“I know all this,” she stated evenly, trying not to upset herself further. She took a deep breath before she continued. “I’m not asking for her receptors to be removed completely. But I want those things off her hands and replaced with those like mine. I know entirely too well the burden those damned things bring … and I want them off her,” she spoke coldly. “If it makes you all feel any better, she will forever be marked with the scar of The Black Realm. Make no mistake; people will know where she came from and the crimes she committed.”

She spoke as she looked down at her own scars. Painful reminders of her past.

“Well, Nora,” Lord Tyron said mockingly. “It seems as if you actually do have someone within these realms that cares about your well-being. I would be honored. Many would rather see you hanged, drawn, and quartered. But this woman here actually wants you to be comfortable.” He smirked as his eyes narrowed. “Call the Marker forth,” he commanded his Governor. “Tell him he has a removal.”