Chapter XXIII - New Hope

Nora awoke with a start as her mind tried to separate dream from reality. She had not experienced one of these dreams in quite some time, but when she did, it always seemed to take awhile to calm down. Her skin was clammy as her heart raced. She could feel the pressure of each beat as her heart expanded and contracted within the walls of her chest. The sound of thundering blood could be heard rushing in her ears, it was deafening and caused a soft but steady ringing within her ears. A light sheen of sweat covered her body much like dew covered the earth. She sat up in the bed and raised a shaking hand to wipe away the beaded sweat as well as a few strands of hair. Her breathing was ragged, but seemed to even out with each controlled breath. Gently, she pinched the bridged of her nose in frustration and went to stand from the bed.

“Nora?” The voice was heavy with sleep and slurred at the words slightly. Nora turned to address the woman with a small smile as she pressed a reassuring hand to her cheek.

“Go back to sleep, darling,” she whispered with much love. “I’m just going to get some warm wine.”

With no immediate response, Nora quietly padded over to the exterior door and opened it, stepping outside into the cool, yet comfortable night air. From her position among the trees, she could see the lazy flashes of yellowish-green lights. The star flies were still out and about, flashing their lights lazily as they searched for their mate among the trees. The abundance of them gave a breathtaking view, like the stars had since fallen and rested within the forest.

The soothing sound of a thousand bugs, amphibians, and wildlife made the darkness come alive with life. Its own unique community once the sun retired. So many nights Nora or Emri would leave the door ajar or leave their small window open so they could be lulled to sleep by nature’s own serene berceuse. It was a different life—a good life. But a life she never once believed or thought for herself. Had she dreamt of such simple beauty? Many a night, yes. Had she dreamt Emri would lie beside her, chasing away nocturnal nightmare? Certainly. But it was difficult for her ever once to believe such could be or come true. If she had ever allowed herself to hope for too long or to hope to much, she would have enviably delved into a darkness far darker than she had ever known. Hope could be a dangerous thing. But ironically, hope is also what saved her. Hope and a young woman named Emri Dyer. Her beloved. Her savior. Her future. Her everything.

Tonight marked the one day one year ago when her life, previously fated for a dark and lonely death, changed in ways she had only ever dreamed about. Emri came charging in like a rock skipping across the surface of water—fast, even, and unrelenting. Nora still remembers that day in vivid detail. The way Emri had looked at her through the rusted iron bar barrier that separated them. The protectiveness her steely eyes automatically emitted. The safety Nora immediately felt as those same emerald eyes gazed upon her. She remembered how every bone and every stretch of her flesh alit with relief and yearning. How her lungs constricted, her heart seized, and her spine turned flaccid—threatening to give way to collapse. She remembered the sob as it inched closer and closer to escape from her throat, yet how she managed to maintain her cold façade—a means of protection for her. But she recalled how every layer she had managed to erect over the many years had seemly been smashed to bits with a single, reverent touch from her protector. In that moment, Nora had realized that where they certainly had lost much in their connection, they still retained their sole foundation. And that was what was necessary for them to rebuild and rediscover what they once had and what they had lost. Once again, hope had been on Nora’s horizon, and this time she chased it with much fervor.

It was nights like this that made her so grateful of how far they’d come and the decisions that led them to this wonderful place. This night, and all the nights like it, was what made her decision to leave everything familiar behind and start life anew. Emri must have seen it too, for she never protested; undoubtedly seeing the opportunities that awaited them and appearing just as eager to start over as Nora.