Chapter XVII - The White Realm

Everything spun. All the sickening blobs of color spun above her as voices mumbled around her. The crushing pressure mounting within her skull blinded her, and her whole body—every piece of her hurt. She couldn’t move … couldn’t breathe, but the voices kept on speaking to her. The world tilted on its axis as vertigo smacked her square in the face. She was moving; or rather someone was moving her. Then the voices became clearer.

●●●

One of the guards knelt next to Emri, supporting half of weight against him. He held her up as he checked her over. “She’s coming to, your Grace,” he spoke, addressing the demigod who stood not but feet from him.

“Ah, excellent.”

Nora had been watching while restrained as they hovered over Emri’s prone body. She was still in shock. Disbelieving her own eyes as to what she had just witnessed. Emri was more powerful than she ever thought or comprehended. But what felt most terrifying was the fact Nora knew nothing. She had no point of reference regarding Emri’s abilities, or how dangerous her current state was. She didn’t know how much strain her body could take and if it could even take anymore.

Nora watched each labored breath as if were her own lifeline.

“Please,” Nora sobbed. “She must be tended to straight away. Her injuries are too severe.”

The Demigod simply looked at her and smiled a sickening smile; no concern on his face, and that made Nora even more desperate.

He crouched down next to Emri and his guard as he looked her over with a critical eye. At one point, he gripped her wrist and Nora saw the slightest movement from her love’s still body. “Her wounds aren’t the concern.” The Demigod voiced as he appraised her with a gleeful gaze. “She merely overexerted herself, have no fear. A brilliant display of might and fortitude she gave. Never have I been so evenly matched. A testament to her powers,” he stated as he looked back to Nora.

Nora caught the hidden meaning with his words. How did he know?

“Oh, don’t look so surprised …. Majesty. You think I would not recognize the infamous fallen Empress of Black? Granted I didn’t expect to meet on these terms, and especially not in this manner, you see, but I knew you the moment I saw you,” he said, then he turned his head and gazed down at Emri. “And her … how could I not recognize her?”

Then Emri stirred and called out, “Nora?” She heard no answer, and panic settled into the pit of her stomach. “Nora!”

Then, as if suddenly clear and lucid, Nora’s melodious voice found her, “I am right here, Emri. I haven’t left.”

Her vision, while beginning to clear, still had not focused enough. She looked for her love and finally saw a glimpse of her, restrained and on her knees between two guards. Emri couldn’t see detail so she missed the grief-stricken expression painted across Nora’s face. She missed the shudder that passed through her body in relief. But she didn’t miss the slight tremor to her voice.

Emri’s mind raged again as she tried to free herself of her inhibitions. One goal came to mind: save Nora.

She fought against her restraints as she yelled, “Let her go you sons of bitches!”

“Watch your tongue girl. Do you even know who you are so carelessly addressing?” the guard asked.

“Yes, a son of a bitch!”

“You bitch,” the guards shouted as he connected his fist with her face. A sickening crack filled the air and Nora screamed out as blood dripped from Emri’s mouth and nose. Her anger had come back full force, and it was building inside her.