Chapter XVI - The Fairest Realm of All

Two days. Two days and they now were within reach of the Gray Realm, less than two leagues to be exact. It was a wonderful, freeing feeling. The weight of the realms lifted from their weary shoulders. The remainder of their task would be simple now. With a bit of luck, by morning’s dawn, Emri would be nestled within the warmth and safety of her bed at home, and Nora alongside with her. Emri’s heart sped up with the notion. She closed her eyes to envision those moments; to bring her fantasies to life. If she felt this way now, she didn’t know if her body could handle the reality of it all. Finally, after all these miserable years, in a mere few hours, that part of her life would be over and she could start anew with a love that would last lifetimes and a new title of Master at the Capital. Nora deserved this opportunity as well. All of that and more, and Emri counted away the hours in which she could give it all to her. But in the Realms of Thrice, nothing was ever that easy.

The woodlands surrounding them thrived with an abundance of life, so unlike winter in the Dark Forest of Fawr. Here streams flooded with energy, giant weeping willows swayed with utmost grace and elegance in the gentle afternoon breeze. Birds fluttered and sang beneath the overstory. The sounds around enchanted them, sending both into peaceful contentment: the soft whispers of wind as it flowed against the vegetation, the gentle laps and splashes of water against the rocks and current, the occasional snap of twigs as critters danced across the woodland duff, the echoing lullabies played forth by songbirds.

The warm springtime breeze invigorated Emri’s flesh as she closed her eyes and settled into her thoughts. How she wished she could have romped through these woods as a child. She opened her eyes and could not find one deathly or diseased tree. The gloom which had enveloped the dark forest ceased to exist here. If she had known these woods laid right outside her window, or even thought to look, she would have spent for more of her time out here than in the constricting confines of her residence.

They topped a small hill that gave a straight view to the kingdom that lay in front of them.

Straight away, Emri looked for the trademark capital building. She knew it would be the first thing she saw considering its design and size. She smiled as she gazed upon her city. But she saw nothing that resembled the Gray. No meticulously hand crafted steel buildings. No shimmering glass. Just simple elegance built within the foundation of nature. Emri’s breath caught with the sheer beauty of the sight. She couldn’t tell, but the buildings seemed soft, not the typical hard edges found on most homes or structures. They appeared to have a sandy fawn color to them. 

In that moment, Nora paled as a heavy gasp left her chest. Emri turned to her in alarm, jerking Trysu along with her. He fidgeted in protest but didn’t fight her.  

“Nora?” The concern in Emri’s voice didn’t break her gaze. Emri looked in the direction of her stare but saw nothing. “Nora, what’s the matter?”

Nora just stared blankly. “We’re not in The Gray Realm,” she whispered.

“Wh—what?! Where the three are we then?!”

Nora turned to look at her, and it was at that moment, that panic filled Emri’s heart. Nora looked of absolute fear. “We’re in The White Realm.”

Emri’s eyebrows rose in surprise not expecting that answer. In fact, she felt relief and didn’t understand Nora’s apprehension. “Oh, well … that’s still good, right? I mean, at least we’re at a realm.”

No response came and she thought back to their journey from the village.

“Did we misread the map or something?” she asked.