Chapter XVIII - Return to Gray

The wee morning hours had staked their claim on the realm as another sleepless night befell Kali. She sat in her favorite high-back chair and stared blankly into the far wall, twirling her finger and nail against the fabric armrest in a trance-like state.

Two loud knocks thundered into her chambers, but she didn’t startle; her eyes the only thing that moved. The creak from the heavy wooden doors sounded and a young man stepped in with his head bowed.

“My Lady,” he stated with a slight tremor to his voice. “The second portal has just been opened.”

“Good,” she said; pleased with the news. She stood and regarded her young messenger. “Did you slow them down?”

“As much as I could, Majesty.”

Pleased with his answer, she walked over to her wine and tray and poured herself a healthy portion of red wine. She swirled it around in her large goblet and inhaled the scent with one large breath before taking a delicate sip. Her long fingernail tapped a constant clink against the glass as she smiled wickedly.

“Excellent.”

The young man stood motionless as the former Empress approached him with grace, the hint of seduction painted across her lips and eyes. Smiling, she trailed a lone nail along the lad’s jaw and smirked at the gooseflesh that followed. She moved in, cupped his face, and pressed her painted lips right next to his ear. She whispered lowly, “Let the foreigners through. Ready our men. The second that third portal is engaged, we make our move.”

She pulled back, but not before placing a kiss where her lips had rested.

The young man swallowed, before answering her with affirmation. As he left, she gave him parting orders.

“Inform the others.”

So it begins. She thought to herself.

●●●

They traveled through the space between realms and thankfully ended up within The Gray. Vertigo was affecting them both, because despite the portals now being functional, the elements surrounding them were still off—unbalanced, and it tore at their beings from the inside out. Emri fell against the metal wall, her hands reaching out to steady herself as she gasped for breath. The images around her swam. She saw Nora hunched against the opposite wall and went to hold her. She could they were not alone, but that fact failed them completely as Nora stumbled out of the portal holding her mouth as she jerked away from Emri’s grasp.

“Nora?” Emri called as she squeezed her eyes shut, hoping that would calm the sea storm that had settled within her eyes. “Nora what is it? Tell me, please?” Emri spoke, reaching out to her and grasping a lean arm.

Nora turned on her with tears in her eyes. “Why?” she asked. “Why did you do that?”

Emri watched in confusion as Nora lost her composure, unaware and oblivious to those who watched them in curiosity and bafflement. Emri was beginning to feel like them; like she had just entered into a heated discussion midway through. What was she missing? “Do what?” she finally asked.

Nora gritted her teeth and clenched her fist in frustration. “He just offered you a place within The White! That is not often done! It’s a great honor!”

“Honor?! Where the void is this coming from? You despise them just as much as me.”

“Yes, but that is where you belong!” she declared, and Emri’s heart shattered at the statement. “You could do so much good there. You deserve it. You deserve to be there. After all the darkness that’s seeped into your life, and tainted your blood, you, of all people have earned the right to finally see light. There’s a new life there, just waiting for you to claim it.”