Chapter XV - What I Regret

Flames danced in her eyes as she sat still and watched the fire’s life unfold within her hearth. The palace chamber felt heavy and cool—damp. A fierce storm raged outside, and her opened, recessed windows allowed for all the sensations to waft into the room. Her long, manicured nails tapped impatiently on her wooden arm rest and every so often, her beats would fall in tandem with the hollow splash of the rain drops. She had retired to her private chambers long ago, wishing to relieve herself of the mockery below, and to gain some modicum of privacy for the planned visitor. She smirked and chuckled soundlessly as her graceful fingers wrapped themselves around a sweated goblet. Primly, she raised it to her lips and took an elegant sip. Oh how she loved theatrics, and what setting would be more perfect and appropriate than an ominous, low-spirited day.

Her skin prickled as unsustainable static sliced through the dampness and the air within the room vanished for a fleeting moment. His eyes were upon her; she felt it.

“Well?” she greeted; straight to the point of things.

A cool wind swept over the exposed skin on her right side as he passed to sit next to her. “It’s in motion. They’re currently three days ride from the realm. So give it a few days. Then we’ll be ready.”

She nodded, but her eyes never left the fire. “I sense doubt,” she reasoned as she glanced over to Arturo. “Did something of importance take place during your reunion?”

He hoped he concealed his panic well. The last thing he needed was for Kali to discover his weak moment as his daughter stood vulnerable, concealing such pain. He should have seen such display as pathetic. Kali sure would have, and she would have condoned him for such pity. “No, my Queen.”

“I could always tell when you were lying, same with my daughter.” He remained silent. “Can I still trust you?” She then turned to him, her gaze harsh, trenchant, and he flinched. She read him with stark accuracy and that was unnerving. He pressed on, though.  She could trust him. Nothing had changed except for his sudden realization of what could have been. But nothing could be done of it now; the past was the past, and that was a safe thought. “Of course. I’m completely invested with this.”

“But?”

 “Nothing,” he quickly assured her. “I just …” he began, but stopped short and rose from his seat. He walked the short distance to the wine tray, fully aware of the eyes that had settled on him. He poured himself some wine and turned back toward her. “She would have been a great ruler if given the time.”

Kali seemed to contemplate this notion for a brief moment. Her mouth turned down and her eyebrows rose as she pondered his words. But it wasn’t a second later that she waved her hand dismissively. “She had too much compassion. I couldn’t even remove it from her completely. But I will say, when punishment needed to be garnered, she went above and beyond necessity. She couldn’t control that part of herself. Her cruelty at times rivaled my own, but I needed consistency, not someone who brandished an iron fist to please me then turn a delicate hand when she thought I wasn’t watching. That is dangerous. People learn your weaknesses, then exploit them.”

“She feared you. Only wanted to please you,” he said between sips of the fine red wine.

“Precisely. That is no ruler. You have to think on your own. Banish other’s thoughts and opinions. You are the leader of a kingdom, and you should rule it the way it was meant to be ruled.”

She said as she averted her gaze from him back to the fire.

He finished what remained of his drink before he poured himself another hefty portion of wine.