Chapter XIV - Truths at Every Corner

A harsh whimper woke Nora from her dreamless state. She must have been sleeping deeply because she woke disoriented, eyes blurry and unfocused, her movements delayed. The hand she had fallen asleep clutching, twisted in her loose grasp. Loud, desperate mumbles broke the stillness of the night. Emri was trembling in the bed, covered in her own sweat, and jerking violently.

“Emri,” she called softly at first; her calls then grew exponentially at each passing moment Emri’s eyes did not open. Her small tan hands reached up and cupped Emri’s cheeks followed by her shoulders as she tried her damnedest to bring Emri back to her.

After several unsuccessful attempts to rouse her from her sleep, Nora ran to find Kaleisha. The moon shined bright outside the home. It was late in the evening, and where many villagers had already secured their homes for the night, it was still early enough for the torches and rush lights to remain lit. In her panic, she couldn’t for the life of her remember where Kaleisha stayed, where to find her. So in her desperation, she ran to the first person she saw and without hesitation, they led her to Kaleisha’s home.

As she ran, Nora mentally berated herself for not going straight to the herbalist or village physician. Of course, it would prove counterproductive if she went to them now. Maybe Kaleisha would call for them on their way back to Emri and her hut, but just in the little time she had spent with the feisty young girl, Nora believed she would know exactly what to do, no guidance needed

And sure enough, after Kaleisha looked her over, she understood the problem. Nora had been relieved Emri had stopped her thrashing. At least she was now resting somewhat peacefully.    

“The medicine they gave her was strong,” the young girl concluded. “It can cause hallucinations in its most weak forms. She’ll be all right, though. The infection was overwhelming her body. They had no choice but to give her a stronger dose. I can call one of them if it’d make you feel better?”

Nora shook her head as she waved her hand, dismissing the idea. “Right, no I understand. I was just …” she tapered off, but Kaleisha understood the reference.

“You were scared,” she said gently. Her tone held no judgment. “It’s all right here, Nora. Even the dreaded fallen High Empress of Black has a right to fear. You’re human, after all.”

Nora sighed; the sound was thunderous in the small, still room, yet she remained silent as she approached Emri’s bedside, took her seat, and resumed her position from earlier in the evening. Her fingers whispered across an unmoving hand. “I am most accustomed to fear, dear. I have held its burden for many years … I am just merely mindful of who sees it. Such knowledge is invaluable to those whose seek it.”

“Well, they’d have no use for such here.” She went to leave, but turned to address Nora once more. She couldn’t help but smile at the scene in front of her. In the days she had spent tracking and observing the two women, she had seen the love and care they devoted to each other, especially Nora. But now, since she gained knowledge of Nora’s true identity, she can’t help but look at her as a queen; a seemingly powerful and dark queen mourning the illness of her love. There was vulnerability there, and that made her even more human—more enthralling. “She should be fine by morning—alert, responsive,” she said over her shoulder.

“Thank you. Sorry to have woken you, however.”

“Don’t be sorry. Come get me again should you need me.”

But no more than Kaleisha had walked out of the hut, Nora succumbed to her lingering exhaustion.

Her eyes fluttered open, adjusting to the bright light streaming inside from the numerous windows. The abrasive light overwhelming her sense of sight meant only one thing, and that even in her grogginess, she determined morning was in full swing. But that was not the only thing that came to mind. The cloth door had been opened, which meant someone had been by earlier, and the hands brushing through her hair caused her pause.