Nineteen

"Max, where did you go..." I asked him taking a bite of my half of the sandwich.

"I'm sorry we lost touch (y/n)..." He said looking down at the sandwich in his hands. "I honestly don't remember what happened... We just grew apart..."

"Remember we were what...? twelve...?and we promised to be there for each other forever."

"You still remember that?" He said looking into my eyes.

"Of course I do Max. We were best friends..."

"We are best friends... (Y/n), I never stopped thinking of you..."

I looked at the little plastic ring on my pinkie and twisted it. "I haven't either."

"You kept the ring..." He smiled softly.

"Of course I did. My best friend gave it to me." I got up and so did he. I wrapped my arms around his waist and he wrapped his around my shoulders resting his chin on top of my head. We were hugging. This hug... It felt like the past five years never happened, that we never grew apart, my depression never got bad...

"Thank you..." He said.

"For what?"

"For letting me find you..."

I smiled and was about to say something when I was interrupted. "Oh what's this?" I stood on my tip toes trying to see around Max. Adam was holding the vlogging camera. "It's (y/n)'s first day and she's already found an age appropriate love interest?"

"Adam, Max and I know each other from Louisiana. We used to be neighbors until I had to move here when I was sixteen. We took baths together."

"(Y/n)! T.M.I!" Max shoved me lightly.

"Oh, Mad Max is back!" Adam said teasingly.

I watched as Max glared it him. "Really, that's the best you could come up with?"

"Okay, I just came to tell everyone that they are leaving early, we are supposed to be getting a huge snowstorm and I don't want anyone snowed in. So get out." He closed the door behind him.

I shoved the rest of breakfast in my mouth and grabbed my coat from off the back of the chair, and put on a dark red beanie.

"Is that the hat I lost five years ago?"

"Well, you left it in my house five years ago, so at this point I'd say finders keepers."

"(Y/n), give me my hat."

I threw it at him. "Fine, just because it doesn't smell like your shampoo anymore."

"You like the smell of my shampoo?" He asked me, as we walked out of the offices.

"I did before it wore off." I leaned against the car. "Want to come over? We can chill at my apartment?"

"Yeah, okay. I'll follow you." He said as he got into the car next to mine. I did the same and began the short drive to the apartment building. When we got there Max opened the door to my car, and I stepped out. "After you," he said.

"Wow, what a gentle man." I said monotone.

"I try." He said. I got out my apartment keys as we rode up in the elevator. We got to the third floor  and were greeted by the obnoxious blue hallway. I opened the room 331 and was greeted by the clicking of nails.

"Jesper!" I dropped my bag and fell to my knees as my Shiba Inu walked down the hallway to greet me.

"You have a dog?" Max asked as he started to pet Jesper.

"I have a cat too, he's a Russian Blue named Lev. He's probably on my pillow." I grabbed my stuff and put it on the table by the door. "Do you want an actual breakfast." I opened the fridge and had almost nothing in it. "Never mind, fridge is empty. I might have pop tarts."

"The fact that you have pop tarts and nothing else doesn't surprise me."

"Shut up. Wanna play video games?"

"You had me at pop tarts."

"That makes no sense Max."

"Course it does. Let's go play games."

I sat on the floor in front of the couch and Jesper sat behind me. Max sat down next to me. We began playing halo. Yelling was coming from the neighboring apartment. "What's that?" He asked not taking his eyes off the screen.

I shot him. "My neighbors, they're often really loud and I'm too anxious to ask them to be quiet. I don't even know them, I only moved in here a few days ago." Another head shot.

"You should meet them, you might like them, meet new friends?" He paused the game. "Let's go over and meet them." He faced me excitedly.

"No Max." He kept looking at me grinning. "No, we are not going over there I swear to god!" I honestly don't remember how I came to be standing in front of the neighboring door. Max knocked on the door and stood behind me.

A guy with curly blondish hair and glasses opened the door. "Hey Max, did you forget your keys again?" He reached behind the door and pulled out a can of Mountain Dew.

I turned around. "You've got to be shitting me! We're neighbors again!"