Twenty (Final Chapter)

"How long have you known we were neighbors?" I asked sitting in the living room of Max, Ross, and Tim, all of which work at the office. The whole time I was glaring at Max.

"Since I saw you leave this morning." He said yanking another Mountain Dew out of Ross's hand.

"Cause that's not creepy." I said as Ross pulled another Mountain Dew can out from behind a pillow. "Why does he keep doing that?"

"It's an on going joke. We filmed it once and it stayed." Tim said grabbing that one and putting it on the far end of the table. "If you don't stop, I swear you dying at fifty three."

"You're not my mom." Ross said.

"This is unbelievable." I got up and started leaving.

"(Y/n) wait!" I slammed the door behind me and opened mine up. Lev, ran from behind the door. Max came in after me.

"What?!" I yelled at him.

"I'm sorry, but I have been looking for you." He paused. "I moved here three years ago."

"Three years ago?" I felt tears on the brim of my eyes. "Max, I lost my friends after senior year, they moved somewhere else, we lost touch. In college I couldn't make friends." My voice cracked. I felt the tears fall down from my cheek onto my shirt. "I was considered a freak. The smart girl, that talks to cameras. They didn't understand. You know, I've had problems with my depression and it just got worse."

"(Y/n), I-"

"Didn't know? Yeah, my best friend didn't know."

"Your parents didn't tell me where you were. They didn't want me in your life anymore. They basically hated me for losing contact with you. They said you would be better if I just stayed out after being gone for so long."

"And you listened?"

"I didn't know what else to-"

"Max, I love you... I love you so much. You mean everything to me, and if there was one chance... Any chance at all... I would have never moved from Louisiana, we would have never grown apart, never worry about not having friends, just being us. Being happy. Max, my parents were wrong... I need you in my life." I ran over and hugged him and let out a sob.

"I love you too... (Y/n). I love you so much too." He reached and lifted up my chin. "Do you want to go get dinner tonight?"

"Yes Max... Yes I do."

==========================

One year later...

Max and I were walking hand and hand down the streets of Washington, snowflakes landing on our hair, and eyelashes. The street lamps were tinting the ground and air around it a pale yellow. I heard a all too familiar sound running in the background.

"The arcade?" I looked at Max, he had a soft smile played on his lips and a sparkle in his eyes.

He walked so he could get in front of me and grabbed my left hand. He slid the small plastic ring with the pink heart gem, that had long since fell out, off my finger.

"I think it's time I gave you an upgrade." He pulled out a small black box. He grabbed what was in it and put it on my ring finger. It was a small circle cut diamond and a silver band.

"A..."

"Engagement ring... (Your full name)... Will you... Will you marry me?" He looked down at me with hope in his eyes.

"Yes, Max... Yes I would love that very much." I jumped up wrapping my legs around his waist pulling him into a hug, prepared to never be alone again, and waiting for a lifetime of new adventures to come.