22. Please Don't Go (Part 2)

Jasmine's POV

I put the last part of my luggage onto the trunk of the car and slammed the door shut. Anthony stood out in front of our apartment holding Maddie.

"Jasmine, please, don't leave me," He pleads. I would just wrap him in a hug and never let him go, but I needed my parents. I was leaving so much more than just Anthony behind too. Like Hamilton and the rest of my friends.

"I don't want to. Like, I really don't want to. But I need my parents right now. I promise I'll come back... eventually." I say, climbing into the drivers seat. I didn't want to say goodbye to Anthony because I knew I was gonna cry. Plus, its not a true goodbye. I said I'd come back and I will.

Anthony sighs and shifts Maddie in his arms. "Promise?" "Promise." He gives me a half-hearted smile before pecking me on the cheek. "Until we meet again." I laugh at his cringyness and put my seatbelt on.

I want to cry when Maddie looks at me with sad eyes and goo's at me. I'll miss her the most. "Bye." I say, trying to choke back a sob while sounding as chill as I possibly could. Did I just say 'chill'? Oh no I'm turning into that mom.

Pressing the gas pedal to drive away was the hardest thing I've had to do.

I drive for a couple hours, and about a quarter into the trip, it starts raining. The weather matches my emotions.

I start thinking about everyone I was going to miss. Pippa, Renée, Oak, Lin, Daveed, Leslie. Anthony and Maddie. I had to pull over at the thought of them. I couldn't drive with tears blurring my vision.

I pull over at a truck stop, and just sit in my car. I lean my arms against the wheel and bawl. I already missed them and I haven't even been gone for a day.

I have to go back.

I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I didn't. I would miss them too much that I wouldn't be happy.

I tell myself to pull it together and wipe my tears. I put my foot on the gas and turn the car around.

As I was about to turn the car into the lane that lead back home, when it happened. It all happened so quick, that if you blinked you would have missed it.

The car hit my side of the car and it toppled over. I searing pain went through my leg and I let out a scream. Unfortunately, it was drowned out by the windows shattering and a car door ripping off its hinges. If that wasn't worse enough, I had not been knocked out, so I had the enjoyment of feeling the pain the whole time.

I watched at as the driver in the other car jumped out of his car. I want to scream, gasp, anything. But nothing comes out. I only watch with a gaping mouth as Anthony jumps out of the car to help me.