1.15 | An Initial Risk

An Initial Risk

agreement: [uh-gree-muh nt]; noun; the act of agreeing or of coming to a mutual arrangement.

    Felix Brannon had never risked anything in his life. He had never been one to take chances. He had always done what he knew would bring him the greatest opportunities, the greatest success, and the greatest happiness.

    He knew what he wanted at all times, and when it was guaranteed to work, he went for it.

    But Jessica Anastos was not guaranteed. She was not a sure-fire way for him to achieve success. She was an incredible risk. She was the first real risk Felix Brannon had ever taken in his life.    

    But when he kissed her, it was worth it.

    As he kissed her, he didn't know what to expect when he opened his eyes and looked her in the eye. He didn't know what to think, or what she would do; he was half expecting her to slap him across the face, which he was sure he deserved. Or perhaps she would start to scream at him; about how he had no right to kiss her without warning, how he had no right to be in her home. Or, in the most likely scenario, she would simply close the door on him and have nothing else to do with Felix Brannon for the remainder of senior year, and by extension, the remainder of their lives.

    Jessica Anastos did none of these things.

    Instead, when the two broke apart, she hardly looked at Felix. She didn't yell, she didn't slap him, she didn't close the door in his face. She simply took his hand in hers and led him towards the kitchen, inviting him to sit down.

    "Would you like something to drink?" She asked calmly, not expressing any interest in discussing what had just happened. "We have water, milk, lemonade, tea, coffee...you choose."

    "Water is fine." Felix replied nervously. In his head he wanted to explain what he had just done, explain why he had felt even the smallest bit like he was right in what he had chosen to do. Instead, Jessica Anastos walked silently around her kitchen, fetching water for Felix and lemonade for herself.

    When she had collected the drinks and laid them on the counter, she took a seat herself, next to Felix. Both sipped their drinks silently, the tension between them multiplying by the second.

    "Alright." Jessica spoke first. "About a few minutes ago..."

    "Yeah." Felix muttered, unsure of how to proceed with what he had to say. "I'm sorry if it was unexpected."

    "It was unexpected, but nothing to be sorry about."

    Jessica's words helped a bit of courage to seep back into Felix.

    "So listen," He started again, "I've kind of had these feelings for you for...a while now. I know it's strange, and I know that we run in completely different social circles, but I was just thinking about how we've kind of been hanging out lately, at least up until a few weeks ago. When I came by two weeks ago I was planning on telling you all of this then, but it was just too much and I was scared." He took a deep breath. "But I went through with it this time."   

    "I'm glad you did." Jessica replied.

    "You are?" Felix asked, unable to keep the surprise out of his voice.

    "Don't sound so shocked." Jessica laughed, "I like you, Felix. I've been trying to figure out how to deal with it for a while now, but I mean...this kind of made it easier."

    "Well, I'm glad." Felix nodded.

    Silence.

    An awkward amount of silence.