3.06 | A Terrifying Middle in a Terrifying Day

A Terrifying Middle in a Terrifying Day

coincidence: [koh-in-si-duh ns]; noun; a striking occurrence of two or more events at one time apparently by mere chance.

    "So when will I get to drive on these things?"

    "When you're old enough to drive." Georgia Halpon answered her son, laughing slightly. "Am I that embarrassing that you're looking forward to not having me drive you places anymore?"

    Caleb shrugged.

    "I'm in high school now. It's lame to have your mom drive you on dates."

    "You'll be wishing you held on to these days longer once you're paying for your own gas, young man." Georgia reprimanded her son lightly. Caleb repressed a laugh; with a family of the Halpon's wealth, he knew he wouldn't be paying for his own gas in high school.

    "Go on, get out." Mrs. Halpon encouraged her son as they pulled up to Sasha's house, "Be a gentleman."

    Caleb rolled his eyes as he stepped out of the car, taking a deep breath as he walked up to the front of the house. He had never been very good at asking his parents for anything, especially if it wasn't something he wanted them to do. But he needed them to drive Sasha and himself to their dates, and that was something that he wasn't going to go to anyone else for.

    He knocked on the front door and waited patiently for it to open. Sasha's butler knew Caleb by name already, and smiled when he opened the door.

    "Hello, Mr. Halpon."

    "Hi, Radley." Caleb grinned. "Is Sasha home?"

    "She'll be ready in a brief moment. Would you like to come in?"

    Caleb shook his head.

    "That's alright, I can wait."

    And wait he did. Because no matter what the situation, big or small, Caleb Halpon knew that Sasha Corrian was someone worth waiting for.

    He was sure that he would always think that.

<><><>

    "I'm not waiting for you anymore, Alexis."

    Caleb's fourteen-year-old sister had always been a nuisance to him, but it seemed as if she had hit high school and gone up three levels in the way she annoyed him. His mother insisted on Caleb driving his sister to school every morning, so there was nothing he could do other than beg her to not take eight hours in the shower every morning.

    "You have to wait for me." Alexis replied as they finally made their way out to the car. "Mother said so."

    "I have no problem with telling her exactly how you behave, though. I would stop annoying me if I were you."

    "Whatever." Alexis rolled her eyes at her older brother, and Caleb grinned slightly at the memory of him doing the same thing to his mother when she used to drive him around.

    The rest of the ride to school was done so in silence, and the day itself passed by without too much drama.

    Until fourth period.

    Fourth period was home to Creative Writing, a class Caleb had signed up to take because Sasha was taking it. He had Ethan to keep him company, but that didn't stop Jessica Anastos from shooting him dirty looks whenever Sasha wasn't paying attention from across the room.