3.20 | A Not-So-Familiar, Familiar Feeling

A Not-So-Familiar, Familiar Feeling

jealous: [jel-uh s]; adjective; inclined to or troubled by suspicions or fears of rivalry, unfaithfulness, etc., as in love or aims.

Junior year came for Sasha and Caleb, and with it they grew one year closer to their graduation and eventual life after high school.

With junior year also came the most anticipated party of any given year: Jessica Anastos' New Year's Eve party.

Anyone who was anyone would undoubtedly show up, and the party was often infiltrated by people who didn't even attend Capital High. Naturally, Jessica lived for those moments: it meant that her popularity transcended her own high school and was known in the entire town around her. While Sasha had known her best friend was well-known by the entire city for years now, Jessica still liked to deny it whenever possible.

It gave everyone else the opportunity to fawn over her.

Jessica Anastos' New Year's Eve party during their junior year of high school was one for the record books: there were over three hundred people milling around her family's mansion, and more were on their way. Sasha and Caleb arrived just past 10:30 PM after spending some time with Caleb's family, and Sasha was ready to start hanging out with people her own age.

"Hey, Jess!" She spotted the host just inside the doorway, twirling her hair around her finger as she flirted with a guy who definitely didn't go to Capital. Jess looked over at the sound of her name and grinned at her friends, excusing herself for a second to greet them.

"Hey, guys!" Jess ran up to Sasha and gave her a huge hug before slapping Caleb on the back in the way she only did when she was already a little tipsy. "I'm so glad that you're finally here!"

"We wouldn't miss it for the world Jess, you know that." Sasha laughed, stepping to the side to avoid having a drink splashed on her. "And between you and me, I'm just happy that I'm not playing board games with the Halpon's anymore."

"I heard that," Caleb snapped, nudging his girlfriend.

"I know, baby." Sasha laughed, "You know I love your family!"

"I know." Caleb grinned, leaning over and kissing her on the cheek. "I love you."

Sasha looked up at her boyfriend with starstruck eyes and couldn't keep the smile off of her face.

"I'm yours."

<><><>

"We show up at 10:30 every year, Sash."

"I know, but I just feel bad. It's her last New Year's Eve party, I wanted to make sure I was there to support her."

Caleb kept himself from rolling his eyes--he would never understand why girls had to be so "supportive" in every single situation. If a guy wasn't actively trying to steal your girlfriend, it was safe to assume that there was no beef between you two.

"Fine." He nodded, "The last one, we'll show up early."

Early was still later than most of the city, since when the couple walked up the front steps at 9:30 on New Year's Eve, the party was already raging inside. Sasha ran off to find Jessica immediately, determined to show off the fact that she was relatively early this year. Caleb sauntered off until he found Ethan and Scarlet, both of them talking and dancing together.