2.08 | A Fortunate Case of Theatre

A Fortunate Case of Theatre

callback: [kawl-bak]; noun; a request to a performer who has auditioned for a role, booking, or the like to return for another audition.

    "Hey baby!"

    Ethan ignored the groan from his best friend as Scarlet waltzed into Mrs. Wise's homeroom, hair curled to a fault and pouting lips whose shade matched her dress perfectly. The entire homeroom ignored her, as they did every day when she walked in, just before the bell rang, to give Ethan a good morning kiss.

    "Hey there beautiful." Ethan grinned, pulling her onto his lap and kissing her cheek. "How was your night?"

    Ethan honestly never knew what else to ask her about. Where he had basketball practice and training and workouts constantly, Scarlet hardly did anything after school besides watch makeup tutorials and plan out her meals for the next day.

    "It was great." Scarlet replied, grinning slyly as she played with his hair, causing Caleb to mime gagging motions from behind Ethan. "I did so many things. I watched makeup tutorials for an hour, then I practiced my makeup for an hour, and then I watched some TV and ran on the treadmill for like three minutes." She nodded, her curls bouncing.

    "That's...great." Ethan replied, not sure exactly how he was supposed to react to the rather unproductive night. "Your makeup looks beautiful."

    "I know, right?" Scarlet replied, laughing and giving Ethan a long kiss. "It only took me forty minutes!"

    This time, she noticed Caleb's gagging and her eyes hardened.   

    "Oh can it, Halpon. It's not like you didn't constantly hang all over Sasha when you two dated."

    The entire homeroom went silent and Scarlet looked around in surprise. Ethan could see Sasha Corrian and Jessica Anastos shooting her death glares after hearing Sasha's name come out of her mouth, and the entire cheer team was staring at the basketball team as if they had killed their families.

    "Oh get over it." Scarlet rolled her eyes. "I'm allowed to say people's names!"

    The tension of the room was cut by the announcements coming on, and Ethan glanced over at where Nova was sitting with Jessica and Sasha, talking quietly and shooting rude looks over at Scarlet every few seconds.

    Jessica had apparently given up her announcements job after the first week of school, after discovering that it was far more productive to sit in homeroom and look good.

    "Good morning Capital High School!"

    Whoever the new person was, they were far more annoying and peppy than Jessica had been.

    After going through a list of announcements, the person started to say something that had some kind of relevance to Ethan.

    "Callbacks for the school musical are today, after school. The following six have been selected for callbacks, so please head to the auditorium immediately following the dismissal bell today. Nova Desai,"

    Jessica and Sasha could both be heard congratulating Nova as the rest of the cheer team clapped loudly.

    "Fran Jensen, Brittany James, Greg Norman, Hunter Folley, and...Ethan Meek?"

    Ethan couldn't help but chuckle at the confusion in the announcer's voice as Caleb clapped him on the back.

    "I knew you would suck it up and audition."