3.04 | The Best Friends & the Broken Couple

The Best Friends & the Broken Couple

broken: [broh-kuh n]; adjective; ruptured; torn; fractured.

His palms were sweating, but Caleb Halpon was determined to go through with his plan.

He had seen the girl at the beginning of the day, and hadn't been quite sure who she was. All he knew was that he had a feeling that she was someone he wanted to get to know. There was nothing for him to base this feeling on; when he had seen her, there was just something that spoke to him.

Caleb walked up to the girl at her locker at the end of the day, tapping her on the shoulder and narrowly missing being hit in the face by her long hair as she turned around.

She looked at him curiously, and Caleb figured that was a decent start--at least she wasn't trying to escape or run off. She nodded at her friends as they left for the day, looking at Caleb and waiting for him to speak.

"Hi." He finally managed to get out, and she giggled.

"Hi."

"So, you don't really know me, but I saw you this morning and thought that you were really pretty, and I thought that maybe we could...like, go out sometime."

The girl thought for a moment before nodding.

"I would love to." She smiled, nodding enthusiastically. She ripped a piece of paper out of her notebook and scribbled her phone number down. "Call me sometime."

"I will." Caleb nodded happily, taking the piece of paper in his hand and tucking it into his back pocket. "Thanks."

He began to walk away before he heard her calling out after him.

"Hey!"

He turned back around.

"Yes?"

"I don't even know your name!"

Caleb laughed, kicking himself for forgetting that part of the plan.

"I'm Caleb Halpon."

The girl smiled.

"I'm Sasha. Sasha Corrian."

<><><>

Caleb knew he shouldn't be sulking, and yet he had nothing else to do: he was in homeroom with his ex-girlfriend and her posse of cheerleaders because he had decided it would be a good idea to apply for the welcome committee at the end of junior year.

Making long-term plans wasn't smart when they revolved around a high school relationship.

Ethan had Scarlet to swoon over him still, and on top of her being an incredibly annoying human being in the first place, Caleb had to deal with her trying to make him feel better about now being single. As if he hadn't been in a relationship for the past three years and knew how they worked; he knew that Scarlet was pleased that her relationship was now the talk of the school. A power couple splits up, another rises to take its place.

"I'm so over being in separate homerooms, sugar." Caleb looked up to see Scarlet Levings sitting on Ethan's lap; she had gotten in without even garnering Caleb's attention. "It's like we're never going to see each other! I'm going to miss your precious face. Send me a snap every period?"