2.12 | The Wrong Right Date

The Wrong Right Date

distraction: [dih-strak-shuh n]; noun; division or disorder caused by dissension; tumult.

    "You look ravishing." Ethan smiled at Scarlet. He had been in an abnormally good mood since his rehearsal for the musical on Wednesday, and he was dead set on convincing himself that it was because of Scarlet, and not the brunette bombshell that was racing through his head at any given moment of the day.

    He had a beautiful, popular, intelligent, and downright sexy girlfriend. And tonight proved that.

    Scarlet had opened her front door when Ethan knocked, dressed in a glittery gold minidress that hardly covered a third of her body, and Ethan frankly wasn't complaining. Her black pumps put her almost at Ethan's height, and he barely had to lean down to plant a long kiss on her lips.

    "And you look devilishly handsome." Scarlet returned, closing the door behind her. "You do know how to make a girl swoon."

    "I only want to make one swoon." Ethan returned, immediately regretting his choice of words. He didn't have to prove himself. He loved Scarlet, and she knew that. Anything said about another girl or even suggesting something about another girl would just make her suspicious.

    And there was nothing to be suspicious about.

    They walked down to Ethan's car and he opened the door for her, shaking his head as he closed it behind her. He needed a clear head and a clear mind. He was perfectly fine. This Nova thing would blow over after the show ended.

    The show just needed to hurry up already.

    Ethan's favorite thing to do with Scarlet was take her to new restaurants every date. He prided himself on never having repeated a venue in their two years of dating. So this time he had picked a restaurant a bit off the beaten path, and into the most wealthy part of town.

    They pulled up and a valet took Ethan's car without hesitation, allowing them to step right up to the front doors. Ethan gave his last name and the hostess nodded at them before leading them to their reserved table.

    The entire time, Ethan tried desperately to convince himself he wasn't just overcompensating for his guilt at his crush on Nova.

    "This place is spectacular." Scarlet gushed after the waitress had left with their drink orders, "You treat me too well, love."

    "Only the best for my sweetheart." Ethan returned, kissing her hand over the table. As he lifted his eyes back up, he was immediately distracted by two people walking behind Scarlet.

    While his girlfriend looked absolutely stunning that night, there was a difference between her and the girl walking behind her. Scarlet was gorgeous in an obvious way, in a way that was amplified by false lashes and high heels. But this girl...she was simply beautiful. Naturally beautiful. And yes, she wore makeup and was dressed up for her night out. But she carried herself as if she wasn't perfectly aware of how beautiful she was. And that humbleness was something that Ethan was always severely lacking in his relationship consisting of two gorgeous people who knew how hot they were.

    Nova was breathtaking without realizing it.

    Ethan watched as she walked over to a table just a few yards away from Ethan, being led by one of the other actors in the school musical: Ryan Fowler.

    That should be me.

    Ethan immediately berated himself at that thought and shook his head to clear it, looking back at Scarlet.