3.08 | A Fortunate Form of Timing

A Fortunate Form of Timing

against: [uh-genst, uh-geynst]; preposition; in opposition to; contrary to; adverse or hostile to.

    February 14th. The international day for love and celebrating your significant other.

    Caleb was definitely feeling like a child on this particular Valentine's Day, since his mother was picking Sasha up from her house and dropping the two kids off at a restaurant for the night.

    Caleb knew that his mother tried her hardest not to embarrass him, but the fact remained that she was driving him on a date with a girl he had been dating for eight months already.

    Sasha was always incredibly kind to Georgia Halpon, thanking her profusely for the rides and for always being willing to pick her up. Caleb knew that his mother and girlfriend got along, and that created a small level of comfort inside of him.

    They arrived at the restaurant within the next thirty minutes and Sasha thanked Georgia before hopping out of the car with Caleb. The two stood in the cold for a moment as they watched Caleb's mother drive away with a promise to pick them up again in two hours so that they could make their movie.

    "I wanted to give you this before we went inside." Caleb told Sasha, pulling a small square box out of his coat pocket. "Happy Valentine's Day, Sasha."

    Sasha took the gift, blushing slightly as she unwrapped it, shivering on the front step of one of the most ludicrously expensive restaurants in West Virginia. She opened the box and gasped, her gloved hand flying up to cover her mouth.

    "Caleb, it's...it's beautiful."

    "Put it on." Caleb invited, "I'll help."

    Sasha turned around as Caleb took the box from her, taking out the necklace inside and clasping it around her neck. The silver chain was warm in Caleb's cold hands, and he looked at the pendant when Sasha turned around.

    "You look beautiful." He complimented her.

    "I feel beautiful." She replied, grinning from ear to ear as the two walked inside, the silver S sparkling on Sasha's chest.

<><><>

    "I think that dialogue is much more interesting." Caleb winced at the sound of Sasha's voice in English class as they began their first debate of the year. They were supposed to be debating the value of dialogue versus description in books, and due to the fact that Sasha Corrian and Jessica Anastos ran the high school, Sasha giving the first opinion meant the debate would end up pretty one-sided.

    "I disagree." Felix Brannon spoke, causing everyone to look at him in surprise. "I think that description offers a far more in-depth look into the characters and their lives, and can also help you to see that there is a world inside of the book, and not simply a bunch of characters going back and forth in witty banter."

    The class was silent for a moment, unsure of how to handle the situation that had arose: no one wanted to argue with Sasha, but no one wanted to get in an argument with Felix either--he was vastly more intelligent than anyone else in the room.

    Caleb was about to lean over and make a comment to Ethan about Sasha being in over her head when he realized his best friend was speaking to the class.

    "I agree with Sasha." Ethan conceded, "Descriptions are so boring. Who has the time to read all about the settings of different places when that's what movies are for? We have lives, we don't want to read all that."