II

"Azlynn!" I yell, rushing into the cave. "You've got to see this!"

She groans. She's already sitting down on a chair, probably meant for the bandit's boss. "I have to?"

I nod quickly and grab her hand. "Let's go!"

She sighs but follows me.

"Look," I say, motioning to the occupied village.

"Holy Irene..." she muses. "How did we not notice this?"

"We need to see what village it is and who's occupying it," I say. "You've got to go down there and get the dirt."

"What?! Me?!"

"Yes!" I argue. "I'm a member of the Jury of Nine. What if they're opposed to Zane Ro'meave, our leader as far as they're concerned? They would kill me and you'd be back to wandering around."

She sighs in defeat. "Fine," she says, "but if you see me run, then you have to run, Cassie."

I nod. "Got it."
««»»
I wait, for a while, peering over a bush. Azlynn doesn't bolt out of the village, so I assume it's semi-safe—at least for being occupied.

"Cassie," she says from behind and I jump, startled.

"Don't do that!" I say, brushing myself off.

She rolls her eyes. "Are you seriously trembling?"

Trembling, I shake my head. "N-no. Just tell me the info."

She sighs. "I got it from a farmer living on the outskirts. He said they didn't kick him out because he was a farmer."

"Who's 'they'?" I ask.

"Duh! The occupiers," Azlynn says.

I give a quiet huff. "Which are...?"

She glances to the side and says in a low whisper, "Tu'la."

My heart skips a beat. "Tu'la? Are you sure?"

She nods vigorously. "Positive."

"Why?"

She shrugs. "Heck if I know. The farmer said his guess was that the king wants to expand his empire. The farmer heard rumors that the king of Tu'la is possessed by the Shadow Lord himself." Her voice hangs on those words.

The Shadow Lord... oh my Irene. "Anything else?" I ask, almost not wanting to know.

"Yeah," Azlynn says. "The village is Nahakra. Apparently, they're not the first to be attacked by Tu'la. Officially, they were first, but the farmer overheard some soldiers talking. They said troops are already invading the kingdom of O'khasis."

"O'khasis?" My voice is barely audible. Fear laces through it, and Azlynn notices.

"Why are you scared?"

I shake my head. "No reason. I'm not scared. It's just... J-Jasper's family lives in O'khasis."

"Mm. Are you worried for him?"

Flashbacks of his final moments cross my vision. Oh no. Don't tear up. Keep it together, Cass. "H-he's dead," I mumble.

Her face softens. "Oh my Irene! I'm so sorry!" She hugs me.

I hug back. "It's okay. I don't want to talk about it. He's gone, but he's with the Divine Warriors now."

"Yeah," she says. "It's better than here in Ru'aun where Tu'la is invading."

I giggle. "Yeah, I guess. So what should we do? We can't take on the whole army by ourselves."

Azlynn thinks for a minute. "We might be able to slow their arrival. You know, we both use magicks."

I shake my head. "I know a few spells. Not many. I'm definitely not as good as you."

She shrugs. "Honestly, I'm not the best either. But what else can we do? If their troops are in O'khasis, they've probably captured the Ro'meave family and found out the remaining Jury members. They're probably looking for you as we speak."

"You don't know," I say, referring to my relations to the Ro'meave family.

"What don't I know?" she asks. Her eyes narrow. "Are you pregnant with Jasper's child?"

I blush furiously. "No! I-I'm Vylad Ro'meave's biological twin sister."

She doesn't breath. "D-did I hear biological twin sister? Are you sure?"

I nod. "Positive. You wouldn't believe me when I told you who revealed it to me."

"Who?" she asks curiously.

I take a breath. "The ghost of Zane Ro'meave."

"Really?"

"Yeah," I say. "It's a long story for another time."

"Okay. Tell it to me sometime."

We sit in silence for a moment when we hear rustling in the bushes.

"Shit," Azlynn curses as she sees who's there.

It's a Tu'la guard.

What's up ya'll, sorry for filler-ish update. Remember, Cassie never told Azlynn she was a Ro'meave. I thought you might've forgotten, lol.

I'm planning on making Azlynn bisexual, but I don't know, sexuality isn't really a focus in this story.

I love the Code Geass soundtrack so much ugh

xxx,
vylad