XV

Sorry for the reupload, I forgot to edit!

~

My heart skips a beat as the Jury member saunters through the door. Her eyes meet mine in an icy glare. Any other time, I would've been glad to beat her up, but here in this cell, with my bow resting on the wall across, way out of reach, there's nothing I can do if she decides to hurt me.

"Well, Sir Lahané, I see you were telling the truth," she says with a smile. "I'm glad~."

Lahané runs his fingers through his hair. "Me too, Lady Ivy."

"General Ivy," she corrects.

"How are you even alive?!" I gasp. I look to the Tu'lan general. "Why did you keep her alive?!"

Lahané smiles in acknowledgement. "Ah, she was the only former Jury member who would wordlessly give up all of her Ru'aun duties to become totally devoted to the Tu'la king." He turns his gaze to Ivy. "You're practically and Tu'lan, aren't you?"

Ivy rolls her eyes. "I'd like to think I am a Tu'lan, and I'd like my subordinates to share that belief."

"Right," Lahané says.

"Anyways," Ivy continues, "would you leave me alone with my dear old friend? And take that hag out." She motions toward Zianna with disgust.

"W-wait..." I begin as I see Lahané unlocking the cell and forcefully removing Zianna. "Where are you taking her?!"

Lahané holds her wrists with an iron grip, as Zianna yells insults. "The basement cell. You know, the one where the whole town can see her."

What town? I want to scream. Everyone's either fled the kingdom or been killed or captured by Tu'la. I bite my lip however, after seeing Zianna motion for me to shut up.

"So," Ivy begins as the door closes. "I see you're in quite the," she picks her words carefully, "predicament."

I don't meet her gaze.

"Silent treatment eh?" I can tell she's trying to keep her composure, but the frustration is seeping from her words. She's trying to have Lahané's levelheadedness yet failing.

I keep silent.

"Don't think you're so high and mighty," Ivy says angrily. "Let's see... you're trapped in the cell, where I can do whatever I want to you, you've got no one coming to your rescue, and your biological mother is down there."

"Be quiet," I say, my voice barely audible.

She feigns a laugh. "What?"

"You heard me," I retort. "Be quiet."

"You think you can order me around?! After all you put me throu--"

I turn on her, fury dancing in my eyes. "All I put you though?! How dense can you be?! You threatened and hated me for things I never did! You claimed I tried to seduce Zane Ro'meave to be in the Jury! How could you think that?! You made me live for months looking behind my back, wasting my goddamn time worrying if you were following me! And when you legitimately fought me all those years ago?! I spared your godforsaken life because I thought you would change! I thought you'd go back to that girl I met outside the Ro'meave mansion! But you said no! I hope you burn," I spat angrily.

Ivy is stunned, and silent. She swallows and stands up. "Likewise." Her voice is laced with venom, but it sounds forced. "I'm going to get Lahané." She exits hastily, slamming the door behind her.

I feel my heart calm down after my outburst. Words can't express how happy I am to have gotten that off my chest, and a bonus; it got Ivy away from me.

Just then, Lahané bursts through the door. His cheek sports a bloody scratch and his sword is gone. He looks shaken with anger and confusion as his fingers curl around the key. Zianna's not there.

"What are you doing?! Where is my mother?!" I yell, and my heart begins to race yet again.

He gives me a look of pure fury. "Your goddamn siblings, and some relic-holding women. They're taking her. Ivy's going to kill them all, so don't worry."

I feel the color drain from my face. "My siblings? W-what?!"

Lahané unlocks the cell. "Yeah."

"Let me go see them!" The only times I've seen my siblings was when we didn't know we were related.

"Ah... no." Lahané grabs me by the shoulders and ties my hands, as I futilely resist. His stoic eyes flash. "You're going to take a little visit to my hometown. We're going to Tu'la."

"No! Let go!"

Lahané's hand clamps over my mouth. "Let's not scream, Lady Cassie." His voice has dropped an octave. He grabs some gray duct tape and puts it over my mouth.

I fight back tears. If I go to Tu'la, they'll be no hope left. I'll be done, and I'll never see Vylad ever again.

Help me Irene.
««»»
He forces me down the cobblestone walkways, away from the prison. As I whirl around, I catch a glimpse of a yellow dragon... and a corpse.

I can only make out a small pool of blood and... pink hair.

Ivy's dead.

"Eyes forward~," Lahané murmurs and pushes me towards the pier.

I close my eyes briskly as I feel the unsteady wood of a boat floor beneath my feet.

Short chapter but guess who's trying to be a lil more active~!

xxx,
vylad