X

"Quite a son you've got here. Obedient. Unlike my cursed daughter."

"Miss, is it okay to curse your daughter's name?"

"I can do whatever I want. Anyways, where is she?"

"Gone. I already told you, she left years ago. She could be dead—"

"DON'T speak of death! That is not a possibility, do you understand?!"

"...Y-yes."
««»»
With a sigh of relief, all the stress I had is gone. Hyria's not here.

"Why were you so nervous to go in this abandoned old tower anyway?" Laurance inquires. He grabs a book off the shelf and wipes a bit of dust off the cover. "'Mastering the Art of Defense'," he reads aloud.

"No reason," I murmur, looking through Hyria's old things. Books she never let me touch line the walls, statues of Lady Irene and the Divine warriors decorate the spaces in between shelves.

"Uh, Cassie..." Azlynn says in a wavering tone, "what's this?" She's pointing to an old letter lying on top of a desk at the end of the hall.

Laurance and I exchange a subtle glance and head in that direction.

Azlynn picks up the parchment with her hands. "It's addressed to you, Cass."

Energy swerves through my veins. A shiver runs through my spine as I take the letter from her hands. Azlynn and Laurance crowd me of either side of my shoulder, reading it quietly to themselves. Written in elaborate cursive, it reads;

To my dearest daughter Cassie,

I suppose you'll never find this letter, as you'll most likely be far far away. Oh well, I've got time on my hands before departure.

If you did find this note, you're in my house. Probably with a companion or two. I don't care if they see this or not.

Well, stay. Stay here. The reason I'm leaving is to look for you. You may know the truth by now, but you're still my daughter. If you don't know the truth, well, stay, and find out when I return. Also, I know you joined the Jury of Nine.

Idiot. I'm very mad at you, but more so concerned for your safety. Tu'la is coming for you. They want to see every link to the Ro'meave family dead. That includes you. So stay here. I sealed this house with powerful magicks so no one bearing the crest of Tu'la can enter. If you decide to leave, don't trust a soul. Rumors are swirling around the region, concerning any surviving Jury members. Heck, don't even trust the people you're with.

Oh, and don't touch any of my things. You might get hurt.

Hyria

The name is signed in messy handwriting. I fold the paper and stuff it into my pocket.

"What the hell does all of this mean?" Azlynn snaps. "There's something you're not telling us."

"There's lots of things I'm not telling you," I respond.

"Stop with the secrets then." Azlynn crosses her arms. "Tell us the truth. Or at least me."

"Later," I respond.

"Well?" Laurance mumbles.

"Speak up," Azlynn prompts.

"Well?" he repeats, stressing the word.

"'Well' what?" I say with a snicker.

"What's your plan?!" he asks. "You gonna stay here at this old place or come to Phoenix Drop?"

"Go to Phoenix Drop, obviously," I retort.

"Well then, Legolas," Azlynn says bitterly, "want to explain to us? Before we leave?"

"I said later!" I reply annoyed.

"Always 'later'!" Azlynn yells. "So many secrets! I bet knowing this stuff is crucial, and you're simply being petty."

"Being 'petty'?" I retort. "Ha! You've got no room to talk."

"At least I don't hide LIFE-SAVING information!"

"If it was life-saving info, I would've told you already!"

"Well, you're apparently not!"

"Ladies!" Laurance yells, breaking up the argument. "Azlynn, Legolas!"

"My name is Cassie," I huff angrily.

"Whatever you say. Look, do we really have time to argue?"

Azlynn and I meet each other's gaze. "Yeah," she pipes up.

Laurance motions to a window. Over the hill, I see a squad of Tu'la soldiers, clad in bloodred.
"I don't think those guys will give you time."

Who got those references in this chapter lmao

Finals are closing in on me, so this might be the last update in the next two-three weeks. Sorry, I just really need to study!

xxx,
vylad