VII

"Damn... how far could she've gotten?!"

"I don't know, Hyria."

"That's Miss Hyria to you, Ro'meave."

"Got it... Miss Hyria."

"Good. Okay, there's a village that Pierce guy from Brightport mentioned. Let's get over the hill to check it out."

"Uh... Miss Hyria, are you really going to trust that man?"

"Yes. He came into contact with her, and that's all I need to know."

"O-okay, miss. What's it called again?"

"Phoenix Drop, if I heard him right."
««»»
"So... where were you first?" Azlynn asks. Before I can answer, we hear a crash and a string of curses. I recognize the voice in a heartbeat. It's Pavien.

"Follow," I command her and she does. We creep through the hallway, my eyes looking in front, her's keeping an eye behind us.

"Pavien," I whisper-shout to the anxious guard. He and Stephan turn around quickly. Their weapons are ready.

"Miss?" Pavien hisses. "What are you doing here?!"

I tiptoe over to the slender guard. "Just... shh. I left my bow on this ship. Do you know where it is?"

Pavien puts his pointer finger on his chin as he thinks. "Possibly... Stephan, did you see the lady's bow?"

"Um... yeah. I thinks it is over on the table next t'dungeon," Stephan responds.

Azlynn and I exchange a glance. "That's where we're going," she says.

"Wait!" Pavien whisper-shouts. "When the master let you go, he went crazy. He almost killed both of us, but we were able to run. He is somewhere around the town, looking for you. Be careful, miss."

"Thank you," I say softly as Azlynn grabs my hand and we run down the hallway.

"Do you even know where we're going?!" I mutter.

"No," she responds, "so it's up to you to take the lead."

I nod quickly. Her methods are questionable, but they get stuff done. I rush ahead of her and make a left into the dungeon. The door is open, just like when I left. And there's my precious bow and quiver, lying on the table just like Stephan said they'd be.

"There!" Azlynn says in a cry of victory. She tosses the quiver to me and I sling it over my shoulder.

"Okay," I say after I grip the bow tightly. "Let's get the hell out."

Azlynn rubs her hands. "Don't have to tell me twice."

We rush through the hallway. As we run outside of the ship, a few guards make a move to kill us, but with my bow, it's easy to pick them off.

The wind picks up the pace as we run up the hill, our lungs heaving.

"Irene," I say with a cough. "That was exhilarating."

Azlynn nods. She puts the palms of her hands on her knees, keeling over.

"What do we do now?" she asks, propping herself up against a tree.

"Simple," I say. "We find my brother."

"The hell we do. You have no idea where he is, nor any idea of where to start looking."

I stand up and stretch. "Let's walk," I say. "I'll tell you my plan."

"Okay, Lady Cassie. Tell me your glorious plan," Azlynn says with sarcasm in her tone.

"Shut up," I say with a giggle as we begin to walk further into the forest.

"Well, spit it out," she says.

"Alright Lady Azlynn. Think about this. My brother, Vylad was an honorary Ro'meave. Zane, his non-biological brother is dead, officially. He used to live in O'khasis, which is where Tu'la is attacking as we speak."

"So you want to go to O'khasis? That's dumb."

"No, I don't want to go to O'khasis. I'm not suicidal. Listen. Say Vylad was in this realm when he heard of Tu'la's impending attack."

"'This realm'? Are you saying he wasn't in our world for a period of time?"

I sigh. "It's just a theory... but I think Zane Ro'meave is somehow connected to an evil force. I don't know... but maybe that evil Divine Warrior? What was his name? Sham?"

"Shad," Azlynn says smiling. "His name was Shad."

"Ah, whatever. Think about it. If Zane was somehow connected to the Netherlord, Shad, there'd be plenty of awful things happening to people. Experiments, I'd guess. And they need someone to perform them on. If Zane was in charge, he'd want to torture his brother. Remember, Zane hates Vylad with a passion."

"Makes sense," Azlynn says with a shrug. "So, carry on with your plan."

"So, if Vylad was—" Crackle.

"The hell..." Azlynn whispers as she silently draws her sword. I load my bow quietly.

We creep towards the sound. A man. My eyes meet Azlynn's. She motions to keep moving closer. I do just that.

"Freeze!" Azlynn says as she points her sword at the man. He whirls around. His face is handsome, with dusty brown hair matching the color of his skin. His blue eyes are piercing.

"More Tu'la guards?" he says with disgust. "What in Irene's name do you want?"

"We're not Tu'la guards," I say.

"Sure looks like it."

"Tu'la wouldn't hire girls to do this work," I respond.

"Sexist."

"You got that right," I say. We take a step closer towards him. "What's your name?"

He smirks a bit. "I hardly believe that's any of your business but... both of you are pretty cute, so... I'll give it to you. Name's Laurance. Laurance Zvahl."

Ayy sorry for slow updates. I'm headed somewhere tropical and islandy for spring break!

Remember, Cassie left Phoenix Drop a little after Zenix arrived. She never met Laurance, however, she met Aphmau for a little bit.

xxx,
vylad