XIV

I can feel the color drain from my face. Seeing my birthmother for the first time... my eyes widen in shock and anger, after seeing the sly smirk on Lahané's face.

"H-how did you..."

Lahané fiddles with the hilt of his sword. "Ah, just a simple capture. You'd be surprised how far that woman'll go to protect her children."

I clutch the bars of the cell so tightly that my knuckles turn white. "What the hell? What are you going to do with her?!"

"See, that's the kind of information I'm not allowed to just give out." Lahané's tone drips with smug.

I bite the inside of my lip. "So what will you do with me?" My voice lowers a bit.

Lahané stands up. "Meh. Our goal is to capture and kill all the Ro'meaves."

"Why?" I demand.

Lahané ignores my question. "Do you happen to know where any of your siblings are~?"

I narrow my eyes and keep quiet.

Lahané chuckles. "So you're playing it that way? My dear Cassandra Ro'meave have you ever seen a warzone? Seen the lawless wastelands they produce? Ah~ so pure. Your pathetic homeland isn't even a Stage I warzone by Tu'la standards. Our main forces haven't even arrived yet. And when they do, this useless region of Irene will be Tu'la's."

My eyes widen slightly. "Is that why you're attacking? Because you want control of a holy land?"

"Irene, no. Our king just wants more power... I suppose."

"...You suppose?" I ask.

Lahané pulls up a metal chair and props it in front of my cell to sit. "Not really sure why we've been ordered to attack. If you claim you've seen Tu'lan soldiers in action, you'd know how bloodthirsty they are. My men were quick to attack. They didn't ask questions."

"That's sick," I breath. Lahané raises a brow in mock surprise. "You're killing people for the sake of killing? Awful sociopaths."

"That's a bit harsh," Lahané says with a mocking tone. "I'm sure there's some sort of valid reasoning. Anyways, enough of this. I asked you a question." His voice drops an octave. "Where are your brothers?"

"Zane's dead," I blurt out. I, however don't really care what happens to him.

"Pssh," Lahané says. "You're lying and I know it. How did one of the patrol squads see him earlier this month?"

"I swear!" I reply. "He is dead."

"Alive," Lahané argues. "He was one of those... how do you say it in your language... well, we roughly say Nether-beings. I knew there was a word for it..." His voice trails off.

"S-shadow knights?" I ask fearfully.

"Ah! Tha~nk you for reminding me. Shadow knight. So, technically, he's dead, but just been revived by both your and my enemy—Shad."

"But if my enemy is your—" Suddenly, I'm cut off by someone stirring. It's Zianna, she's woken up.

The black-haired O'khasian blinks a few times. Her hands are tied in front of her, unlike mine, which aren't tied at all.

"Ah~. Hello, Miss Zianna. Welcome back," Lahané says, standing up.

Zianna curses under her breath. But, she turns her head up just a bit and sees me sitting across in a separate cell. Her eyes widen and I see her shove herself fully upright in a sitting position. "Y-you... I..." She points frantically at me. "What in Irene's name is my daughter doing here?!" She stands up after wobbling a bit and kicks at the cell in anger.

Lahané walks over and gives her a flick on the forehead. "Stop yelling, stupid woman. I'll leave you two for a short reunion while I've got a few errands to run. But~ only when you shut up."

Zianna grits her teeth and nods slowly. She closes her mouth and sits back down impatiently.

Lahané smiles. "Very well then. Happy reunion~."

Once the echo of his boots on gravel is no more, Zianna rushes to the edge of her cell. "My Cassandra!"

"M-Mom," I state quietly. I reach my hand out, but the cells are too spread apart and I can't even get close.

"H-how did you..." Zianna stutters before taking a breath. "As my daughter, you've got some questions to answer. How did you end up here? And how did you know I was your mother?!"

I sigh. "How I got here... it's a long story for another time."

"It was that girl, wasn't it? Long purple hair, smart aleck attitude, I don't believe I spoke to her once. When General Lahané questioned her, she'd always say something sarcastic and ignore him," Zianna states.

"Yes. She was one of my companions. She was captured by Tu'la guards and brought here. We wanted to save her."

"We?"

"Just another traveling companion and I. He was supposed to bring us to Phoenix Drop. I want to get out of here so I can meet... Vylad."

Zianna's eyes soften. "Ah, I see. And now you're trapped here." She glances around. "Sometimes," her gaze drifts to a handle on the wall. "Lahané keeps his keys there. Sadly, he took them with him, but maybe we can—"

"Or they're on the other wall." I'm staring at the wall next to my mother's cell, where a large brass keychain holds several silver keys of various sizes.

Zianna strains her neck to get a good look. "Oh! Cassandra, you're so smart! No wonder you're my daughter!"

"But how will we—" Just as I'm about to finish my sentence, the door handle jiggles slightly, and then opens. Lahané's back.

"Miss Cassie, I've got the greatest of news. I found one of your old friends~."

Friends? Does he mean Azlynn or Laurance? Irene, I hope not.

"Come on in, m'lady," Lahané says. M'lady? She must be a superior...

And then, someone who I hoped never to see again walks through the doors. Her turquoise eyes meet mine with pure victory dancing in them. She carries a long scythe behind her, and her bright pink Jury uniform matches her bubblegum-colored hair.

Irene help me. It's Ivy.

Hey~. I've been a bit busy with vacations and such (lol, they just had awful connection) so I'm hoping you enjoyed this [slightly filler] chapter.

xxx,
vylad