IX

"Excuse me! This is Phoenix Drop, correct?"

"Um... yes~! Welcome, I am Lord Aphmau."

"Has my daughter been here?"

"Daughter?"

"She's a Jury of Nine member, Cassie."

"Cassie... oh yes, I remember! She left ages ago without saying goodbye. I'm deeply sorry. She's not here anymore."

"What do you mean? Where is she?!"

"I'm sorry ma'am, I don't know. Here, please come into the lordhouse. I'll have my son make tea and we can talk."
««»»
"Cassie!" Azlynn hisses. Her voice could cut diamonds. "What in Irene's name do you think you're doing?!"

"Going to Phoenix Drop...?" I respond, knowing that's not what she asked.

"Cut the crap. Tell me the real reason," Azlynn growls.

"Look. I never got a chance to tell you this in Nahakra, but the plan's simple. Imagine Zane did take Vylad somewhere otherworldly. Now, Zane's dead for real this time. Since he's dead, Zane would've had Vylad removed from the Nether while he was alive. Vylad would've gone somewhere far away from O'khasis—my guess would be Falconclaw, that's the farthest southern village. However, Falconclaw's been... disbanded." My voice cracks, remembering Shirley. "Anyways," I continue, straightening my posture and taking longer strides, "since Falconclaw was, um, destroyed, the next farthest would've been Phoenix Drop. Seems legitimate, since there'd be no threat to him and Phoenix Drop has only recently become a powerhouse city."

"Well someone thought this through for too long," Azlynn remarks.

"Azlynn~!" I say, giving her a playful punch.

"Look, all I'm saying is what if Vylad's not there? What will you do then?"

I don't answer. After a but of awkward silence, I open my mouth. "Then we'll just—"

"Hey!" Laurance whisper-yells at us. "Stop right there!"

"Laurance, what the hell?!" Azlynn hisses, keeping her voice low.

"Look," he says, motioning to a home. His blue eyes cloud with worry. "That."

"What're you pointing at?" I ask, tiptoeing over to where he's crouched behind a bush. My eyes nearly pop out of my head.

It's Hyria's house. Big, cylinder-shaped, with a lavender roof. Oh my Irene.

I begin to turn around. "There's got to be another way. Can't we please take the long way?!"

"No!" Laurance grabs my forearm. "We have to cross through without being noticed."

I suck in a breath. "There's no way I'm going through."

"It looks vacant," Azlynn suggests.

"I don't care."

"Cassie, come on!" Azlynn prods. "Stop being a wuss. You've fought for the High Priest, you can survive walking through an inhabited clearing."

I cross my arms, pouting like a little kid, as a sign of refusal.

Azlynn gives an exasperated sigh. "Okay then. Laurance and I will walk through and check it out. If we find nothing, you'll come through. If we find someone living there, we'll ask to stay for a few nights and collect ourselves. If the resident is hostile, we'll take the long way. Sound good princess?" Her tone is dripping with frustration and mockery.

I nod quietly. I just hope they realize that when they meet Hyria, I'll be running as far away as possible, so I won't be able to help them.

Azlynn glances at Laurance. He nods and they push past the brambles.

I watch intently, not at them, but at Hyria's house to see if there's any lights on. I see they're all off. Maybe Azlynn was right about it being vacant. Or maybe she's there, playing some sick trick to try to get me to come back.

They successfully cross. "Cassie!" Azlynn yells, waving her hand.

Electricity runs through my body. Dammit Azlynn, shut the hell up. I glance from side to side and begin to walk through the underbrush. I swallow heavily in fear.

I take quick strides past the house, but something catches my eye. From the angle on the hill, I couldn't see it, but now that I'm up close, I can see it clear as day.

The light to Hyria's study is off.

Azlynn was right. It is vacant.

VERY IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: okay so I said I wouldn't be writing any more MCD fanfics. I lied lmao. I recently got inspiration to write a brand-new MCD ff—featuring the Jury of Nine ofc~ It will be published once this ff ends~! Title will be secret until further notice! Hope you enjoy! oWo

xxx,
vylad