XIII

A/N: there will be no more dialogue at the beginning if the chapters. It ended in the last chapter haha.

"Katelyn the Fire Fist?" I nearly howl with laughter. "I thought she was long dead."

Laurance shakes his head with a victorious smile. "On the contrary. She's alive and well in Phoenix Drop."

In Phoenix Drop... I feel a wave of fear wash over me. If my aim is to get to Phoenix Drop to meet my brother, encountering another Jury member is the last thing I want. I cannot cross her.

"Reconsidering?" Laurance breaks my train of thought. "Does the thought of another Jury member scare you~?"

"No," I deadpan. "I will still get there. After we rescue Azlynn."

Laurance smirks a bit. "I suppose we've got to sleep for now."

"Hold on," I say. "I still have some questions."

Laurance's eyes flash. "Answer them yourself. I'm tired." He crawls underneath a tree and closes his eyes, shutting me out.

I huff in annoyance. I guess I should get some sleep for the soon-to-be long day tomorrow.
««»»
"Cassie. Cassie!" Someone's shaking me awake.

"Laurance...?" I groan. "It's still dark. What are you doing?"

"If we're rescuing her, we're doing it when most soldiers will either be asleep or barely awake." He grabs my wrists, forcing me to sit upwards.

I rub my eyes and nod with a yawn. "Yeah... okay." I stand up and stretch, waking up fully. My bow is strung and my arrows sharp. I'm ready.

Laurance unsheathes his emerald broadsword. "Ready to crash this party?"

I nod and we pace to the outskirts of the city.

"Okay," Laurance says. "Here's the plan. They're most likely keeping her in a prison. See those ports on the right? It's just next to the middle pier. I want you to go there."

"I know where the prison is," I say, rolling my eyes a little. "I've probably been in this city more times than you."

"Okay then, smartass. You check the prison. I'm going to find whoever's the general around here and—DUCK!" Laurance whisper-shouts as  he pulls me quickly into some bushes. I hear the footsteps of some soldier making their rounds.

"Damn Tu'la soldiers," he breathes. My heart's beating out of my chest from that close call.

"Are you sure you know what you're doing?" I murmur.

He nods. "I do. All you need to do is do as you're told. Trust me."

I nod. Taking a deep breath, I leap over the fence effortlessly (A/n: I know they have taller walls, but please just pretend this segment just has a barbed fence haha) and glance around. No one. Perfect.

I turn around the corner and press my back to the wall and exhale, shutting my eyes for a moment. Then, I dart to the middle pier, crawling so low that my knees ache by the time I'm well-hidden in the boxes. I steal a glance at the Tu'la warships.

They're massive, much more so than the ones at Nahakra. With their billowing flags bearing the Tu'la crest, and enormous decks that could house hundreds of soldiers for an overseas mission, they look simply terrifying.

I swallow my fear and concentrate on the task at hand. I can see the prison, a few of its cells, in fact, they appear to have people inside. But I can see two large, menacing-looking guards manning the entrance. I could easily shoot them from where I'm hidden, but that would make too much noise. If I only were on higher ground...