200 Follower Special: Cassie meets Tenth!

"Hey!" Someone was jolting me awake. "Cassie, wake up!"

I groaned. It was still dark out, meaning it was not time to be up. My eyes adjusted to see who was shaking me. It was Garroth, my adopted brother. "What is it?" I murmured.

"There's a strange boat on the horizon," he responded. "I want someone with me to investigate. It looks like it's going to dock here."

"Probably just a trade boat," I muttered, pulling my covers farther over my tired body. I had the midnight shift - to say I was worn out was an understatement.

"Seriously Cass," Garroth said, a bit more strongly than before. He recently begun calling me by my nickname after Vylad began calling me that. I couldn't care less what people called me, as long as it wasn't "puppet".

"Okay," I muttered, heaving myself up from the bed. "I'm coming." I stood up and stretched my arms and grabbed my bow to string it. Then, I slipped my lavender cloak on and filed out the wooden door, followed by Garroth, grumbling under my breath.

"Over there," he said, pointing to the docking boat.

"It doesn't even look that big," I muttered. "What were you worried about anyway? Just a little boat."

"You can never be too sure. Not with all those shadow knights running around," he replies.

"Fair enough," I said. "I guess we can go greet them." I begin to walk forward, only to be stopped by his hand.

"I'll greet them first," he states coldly. "If Tu'la is as we think they are, it could be someone looking for you. Just stay in the back, and if it's safe, you can come out."

I roll my eyes. "You forget I was hunted down for years before I came here. I can take care of myself."

Garroth gives me an icy stare with his piercing blue eyes. "And you forget I'm still your older brother and you listen to me. Stay in the back." His voice is commanding and low.

"Alright I will. But if something goes wrong, I'll definitely come out. If they ask for me, I'll come out too. My presence in this city isn't about to put it in danger," I state with the same tone.

He glances from side to side. "Deal. But don't be reckless about it."

"I won't," I say
««»»
A chilly breeze blows over the pathway and the leaves rustle. Good, they'll mask our footprints in case the person on the boat does have evil intentions.

Garroth motions for me to stay behind as he strolls down the wooden pathway on the sandy beach. "Can I help you?" he asks in a low voice.

The person walks out of the boat and ties it down on the dock. I strain my neck to get a clear view without the leaves of the bush blocking it. The dirt around me is loose and unstable. It's a girl, tall, with long dark hair and a mysterious red streak barely visible in the moonlight. I sense a strange aura from her. She blatantly ignores his question.

"Excuse me," Garroth repeats. His voice is just a single level higher.

The girl turns her head. She has a very pretty face and I realize she has an emerald-green sword resting at her side. "Hello."

"What are you doing in Phoenix Drop? Do you have business with our traders?" Garroth asks. I can feel his annoyance in the air.

"No," she says.

"Then why are you here?!"

The girl folds her hands in front of her after tying down the boat to the dock. "I'm looking for someone. I was told she was here. Is she?"