6. Family

The group had decided to all go home alone that day. We were going to have to deal with this situation our own ways and I couldn't deny that I wanted to be alone. As we were leaving the classroom I saw Green walk towards me. I turned to him, ''Uh... Green?'' I spoke out in confusion.

He seemed to be wearing a difficult expression on his face, almost as if he was trying to solve the world's most complicated math problem without a calculator. He was looking down to the ground and finally faced me. His eyes were closed lightly and opened them to look at me with a sigh. ''Red, why are you so sad?'' He asked me.

I felt a little taken aback by that question. I hesitated and chuckled awkwardly, ''Well, what happened to Yellow kind of got to me I think.'' I explained to him.

''I understand.'' He whispered with a skeptical look.

I pressed my lips together, ''I don't know about that. You've only known her for a few weeks.'' I said, sounding a lot harsher than I intended to. Trust me I didn't mean to say that but it just slipped out.

His expression turned into a crestfallen one. I felt my chest tighten and my throat turning dry. I didn't hurt him, did I? I hate being mean to others and I don't remember ever being mean to people in my life. This was a horrible feeling.

I let out a single shaky breath and started to panic slightly, ''I- I'm sorry I didn't mean to hurt you or any thin-''

''No, it's okay. You cared about her.'' He interrupted.

My eyes widened slightly out of surprise and I quickly nodded. I was relieved, I'm glad he understood it or else I would've felt bad about that too.

''Thank you for understanding,'' I said with a smile. He nodded.

''then I'll see you tomorrow at school.'' I said, walking out if the class and leaving Green behind.

''Hey Red! Guess what I gave Pika when you were gone!'' My little sister approached me with an ecstatic look on her face. I had just arrived at my home and I immediately get back to entertaining my sister. I breathed out through my nose and cocked my head to the side, ''What is it?'' I asked with a tired smile.

''No no! You have to guess!'' She scolded. I laughed a little and kneeled in front of her, ''Is it a bath?'' I guessed. She shook her head frantically from side to side. ''Wrong! Come with me!'' She shouted into my ear. I flinched and before I could recover she started to pull me along the house and practically dragged me across the stairs. Excitedly she opened the door leading to my room and showed me the cage.

Pika was wearing a pink bow on his head.

''Isn't it cute?!'' She squealed before she pet the mouse through the holes of the cage. I nodded, ''It's very cute.'' I said. Suddenly she started pouting, ''You're not convincing me! Why are you so boring today?'' she whined. I tensed up, I can't tell her Yellow died. She's only 10 years old and I didn't want to scare her. On the other hand, I can't hide things from her that easily. She'd probably find out somehow.

God, little sisters are weird. One day they forget how to tie their shoes and the other days they figure out your life before you get the chance to.

I furrowed my eyebrows slightly, ''You remember Yellow?'' I asked her. She paused and then nodded. ''So toda-'' ''Oh my gosh! I know what happened! You asked her out and then she rejected you, didn't she?!'' She screamed out. I widened my eyes and shushed her, ''Shh! Don't be so loud!'' I whisper yelled. She stopped abruptly and then smirked, ''You don't have to be embarrassed big bro. It's not your fault!'' She chimed.

''No, that's not it.'' I said.

''No need to lie to me! I know everything about your love life!'' She said.

''Wait seriously, that's not it!'' I started to get frustrated towards her. She wouldn't let me explain the situation, even if I wasn't going to tell her the truth.

''You're not a loser because your crush didn't like you back! Especially with me here to help you!''

''Just wait! Believe me, that's not it!'' I shouted at her.

''You're in denial! You're in deni-'' That was it.

''She's dea- moved away.'' I caught myself almost slipping out the truth and corrected myself mid-sentence.

She mouthed and 'O' and nodded, ''That's... sad.'' she commented. I sighed, ''Could you please leave me alone for a moment?'' I asked her. She nodded, ''Okay then...'' She mumbled disappointedly. She walked out of the room and closed the door. 

I feel like absolute trash right now.

I let myself fall onto my bed landing on my stomach and proceeded to bury my face into the pillows. I was trying not to bring back a gloomy mood to my home because I didn't want to have anyone worry about me too much. I already was the cause of a depressing atmosphere in school but I won't do the same for my family. I'll get over it in a few weeks anyways. 

I hope.

866 Words

Not really the longest chapter but it's not short. Kinda. I'm kind of approaching a writer's block here but I'm going to power through it!

Bye for now!

~Pencil