19. Take a Shot

Quick recap for everyone who forgot what this story is about and can't be bothered to go back and reread:

Green is a new student and becomes apart of Red's friend group. Everyone catches up from after the summer vacation. Yellow confesses to Red after a day spent together. At school, it's announced that she passed away. The entire class is depressed, especially Red and the gang. After a while, they start to feel a bit better and try to move on. They get flowers for Yellow. Blue is acting cold towards the rest which causes Red to feel hurt.  Because of that he accidentally hurts Green's feelings to be hurt as well. Red visits Green to see how he was doing out of guilt. He eventually stays over at his house because of the weather. They go to school and Red notices Blue didn't show up at school which upsets him a little. Now, Gold is taking him somewhere, after school.

You're welcome.

''Hey- Gold where are we going?'' I stuttered as he kept on dragging me to someplace unknown. I wasn't actually supposed to go off somewhere right after school. Oh God, that reminds me.

My mom hasn't heard anything from me in the past 24 hours.

She's going to be pissed off when I go back home. Who knows, I'm kidnapped and locked up. I should respond to her texts soon to make her worry less. As Gold wasn't responding to me during the entire walk, I grabbed my phone out of my pocket and unlocked it. I was about to send a text to my mom until I saw a black screen and a little rotating icon in the middle.

''What?'' I muttered under my breath. The battery died? But it was at like 7%.

Thanks, Apple.

I sighed and at the same time signaled Gold to slow down the pace. I put my phone back and saw that we arrived just now. And there it was, a park. But it wasn't a park I recognized. It was kind of located in a place where not many people walk by anymore. Old stores and houses where only old people and or NEETs lived in. Leaves scattered across the ground and the trees looked deader than alive.

I turned to Gold. ''Is this it?'' I asked.

He hopped on top of a monkey bar step and nodded. ''Yup.'' He answered simply.

I narrowed my eyes a bit.

I mean, I was glad he didn't take me to some um... Sketchy place like I would have expected from him. But, an old park wasn't exactly what I'd expected. He saw my confused yet disappointed expression and laughed. I furrowed my eyebrows. ''What are you laughing at??'' I asked.

I saw him wobble on the bar and almost fall backward but he managed to stay upright. He wiped his eyes with his sleeve, ''Of course, I didn't just bring you here to a crusty ass park for fun.'' He said with a reassuring grin. He stood up and stretched. ''The arcade doesn't open in another 20 minutes and this is the only place we could wait at without having to stand.''

That made more sense. ''Ohh, I get it.'' I said. I smiled at him and he snapped his fingers and pointed at me in an 'I got you, dude' manner.

It was silent for a little while before Gold spoke up again. ''But to be honest, I gotta talk to you about something.''

The tone of his voice was a bit too serious for my comfort.

Can't I just take a break from this all?

''Uh, sure. Shoot.''

''How do you feel?''

I blinked twice. I wasn't sure if I understood why he suddenly asked me that but I replied with:

''I'm good...?''

All the while still feeling a bit skeptical about this conversation.

He raised an eyebrow at me and cocked his head to the side. He wasn't amused by my answer. He crossed his arms and pressed his lips together. ''You sure? You seemed tense the last few days.'' He looked at me, worriedly.

I chuckled sheepishly.

''No, I'm fine, I really am.'' I told him again.

He sighed and turned around, ''If there's anything you need to get off your shoulders, I'm here. Okay?''

Those words echoed in my head and I couldn't find any meaning to them, as much as I wanted to understand. I couldn't. I felt like I had to feel something. He was so sincere. But I don't feel anything. I'm just confused and I feel bad because I don't get it.

''Let's go now, okay?'' He said as he turned around one more time. He reached out his hand and without hesitation, I took it.

He took me to the arcade and to simply put it. We played games all day until we got kicked out. And for the first time in the past few days, I forgot what was happening to the world around me. It was nice to have a moment in which winning a game of DDR or Mario Kart was more important than grieving or your potentially dying friendships.

At the end of the day, we decided to part our ways and go home. But he first asked me:

''Hey, could you actually stay over for like... Dinner? My parents have gone out today for dinner and I need someone to help me put out the fire in case I burn my food for the 80th time in the past two months.''

I laughed a little but shook my head 'no'. ''Sorry, if I don't go home right now I'm pretty sure there will be 'missing' posters around town with my face on it. My mom's worried sick.''

He nodded and understood. We said our goodbyes and I hurried home as the sky began to turn dark.

~920 Words

First of all, I suck at keeping my ''schedule''. I apologize. Honestly, it's a wonder that I updated this on a school day while I'm doing Inktober with a test coming up. Oop-

And I'm very excited for the next chapter so, I'll definitely update it soon >:3

Also, question: Do you like my writing style? (I'm not really sure anymore)

Bye for now!

~Pencil