17. Embrace me

My breathing hitched and I felt tears rolling across my face. I couldn't stop crying. I felt ashamed, I was bawling my eyes out for no reason at my friend's house where I'm at for the first time. I was so embarrassed and I wanted to stop but I didn't know how to. I couldn't figure out why I was crying in the first place.

I heard footsteps. I panicked. I looked up towards the ceiling to stop the tears from coming and put a hand on my mouth to prevent the sound of my sobbing reaching him. I wiped my eyes and took a deep breath when I heard him come even closer to the living room. All I had to do was calm down.

C'mon Red, stop crying.

I was genuinely confused as to why these tears kept on coming.

I heard a clattering sound coming from the hallway and I immediately looked in front of me. Green hurried towards me. Dang it, now he's seen me crying like this.

I stood up, ''Uh, I think I should-d ge-get going n-now.'' I quickly said to him. I walked along the wall but there he stood, right in front of me. I averted my gaze and instead of looking him in the eyes I geared my vision to the floor. I wish the earth would just open up and swallow me whole, right then and there.

''I- I'm so sorry, I-I ju- jus- I don't kno- I don't... know why... I- sorry. I'll just leave.'' I stammered.

Another moment of silence passed and I couldn't take the awkwardness anymore. I walked around him but I felt someone grab me by the arm. I flinched and looked up at Green. He seemed sad, confused and worried. ''What?'' I whispered. He wanted me gone, I was pretty sure of that. But then why was he holding me back? Crying people are difficult to have as a guest, I think.

But to my surprise, he stepped forwards and hugged me.

I froze in place when I felt him wrap his arms around me.

''Green?'' I whispered.

''It's okay.''

Thump~

I put my hand on his shoulder subconsciously and took a deep breath to calm

myself down.

Thump~

''I'm here for you.''

I decided to stay the night over at Green's house because it never stopped raining and Green insisted. I got to lend some of his clothes and we would go to school together tomorrow. He told me it'd be fine if I slept over in one of the guest rooms but he also offered the option of me sleeping in the same room. It didn't matter too much but... I thought it would be nice if I stayed over in his room. Kind of like a sleepover. So, we put up a portable bed right next to his bed in his room (which was like, twice the size of my room by the way). I had completely calmed down by that point luckily. We watched Notflix together because we wanted to have a calm night together. Instead of a homecooked dinner, we had the fanciest pizza ever. Don't even ask me where it came from, it was magic. I wish magic existed. It probably was just the power of money.

When it was around 11:30 PM I was getting tired.

''When are we gonna sleep?'' I asked him with a yawn. He shrugged, ''Are... You tired?''.

I nodded and sat right up against the back of the bed. He stood up and walked to the door.

''Do you want anything then? Something to drink?''

''Uh, sure.'' I replied.

He opened the door and simultaneously spun a dial which caused the lights to dim a significant amount. I looked at him in a confused manner, ''What's with the lights?'' I asked him. A second passed, ''Well, that way your body can adjust to the darker environment and... It should help you sleep better tonight.'' He answered. I mouthed an 'O' but it wasn't like he would be able to see it anyway. ''We got it installed because I can just turn on the lights after waking up without practically being blinded.'' he told me.

''That's really handy. I hate it whenever that happens.'' I replied. He chuckled a bit and then left the room and closed the door.

I sighed and slowly shifted my position so I was laying on my back. It was nice here. Green's been a really good friend to me and I felt comfortable here. I just have a certain feeling of safety here. If anything, I was in a new place.

I got out of the bed and walked around the room  – more specifically the wardrobe. On top of the wardrobe lazily put out there to dry. I grabbed my jeans and searched for my right pocket. ''Oh, it's not here...''

I think I accidentally left it somewhere in the living room. Should I get it? But I guess walking out would be kind of rude when your host is going out of their way to get you something and could be returning any minute.

I walked back and let myself fall onto the bed. I felt my impatience growing slowly. I started fiddling with the light dial. There was actually a panel for the lights with which you could control a whole lot more than the brightness alone. You could change the color, intensity and of course, the brightness. I played with it for a while and when I heard footsteps coming from the stairs I quickly put it back the way Green left it.

I sat right up on my bed and on cue, Green walked through the door.

He handed me a mug that was warm to the touch. I thanked him with a nod. He had a glass of water in his own hands and sat back on his own bed next to me. I held the cup a bit closer to my face and breathed in and it smelled sweet. I smiled and took a sip. Sweetened milk?

''Did you put honey in this?'' I asked him as I took another sip.

''Oh, I did. Do you not like it? I'm sorry, I'm just kind of used to doing that. My mom used to do that and I think I may have taken over her habit.'' He answered with a timid laugh. I put the cup down on the bedside table and yawned.

He smiled and asked me, ''Should I get rid of it?''. I waved it off and laid back down on the bed. ''It's... Fine.'' I said. I smacked my lips together and tasted a slightly metallic flavor with a sweet aftertaste.

I closed my eyes. I was getting really tired and I even heard the clock towers chime their bells faintly in the distance. It was probably like 12. Well, not probably. It was 12 O' clock because if it wasn't, the bells wouldn't have gone off.

I yawned once more. I definitely think I'm gonna pass out soon.

''Good night red.'' I heard Green say.

''G'night.''

About 1170 words

I really feel like Red is too out of character sometimes. I think I write him too similar to me. I even turn thoughts that are too OOC into author's notes like:

''I would love to go to the theme park some day. I love rollercoasters and the way they swoop down.''

Me: *thinking* ''Oops, a bit too out of character.''

''I would love to go to the theme park some day. (I love roller coasters. Like WOOSHHH)''

Of course, I wouldn't hold back on the second one but, it's actually pretty difficult to write from Red's perspective. He doesn't seem to be part of a trope with typical traits. So, have your brand new Insecure and Socially Awkward yet still Dense and In-Character Red ™ fun, right? I mean, I guess it's an AU so it doesn't have to be 100% like in the original manga but, right now it's only around 60% accurate.

Oh well, I try~

Bye for now!

~Pencil