15. Lost and Found

Neither of them showed up for the rest of the day.

I said goodbye to Crystal before going home alone. I felt the chilly wind brush up against my skin and heard the ruffling leaves skidding across the ground. I'm pretty sure fall was coming to an end which meant it was becoming winter. I should ask my mom about my winter coat. I got to my house and knocked on the door to see my mom standing there with a smile. ''Red, a friend of yours just came by.'', ''Hm?''

I walked inside and put off my shoes. ''What'd they look like? Or was it Gold?'' I asked her. I saw she closed the door behind me while shaking her head. ''It wasn't Gold. I'm not sure but I haven't seen them before. He looked like a fairly tall, handsome young man.'' She laughed. I could almost hear a little Gold voice in the back of my head, yelling that he fit that description perfectly. I snickered at the thought. I raised an eyebrow, ''Who was it then?''. She shrugged, ''I didn't quite catch his name. Um, do you have any friends with brown hair and green eyes?'', I felt my heart skip a beat. It was Green? Didn't expect him to come by. I nodded, ''Yeah, that was probably Green. The transfer student I talked about before.''

'Oh really? He was so nice. If you were a girl, I would've wanted you to marry him!'' She cracked up. I felt my face heat up. ''Mom! What are you saying!?'' I exclaimed out of embarrassment. She waved her hand in a dismissive manner and tried to calm down. She wiped a tear that was rolling down her face and looked at me with a smile, ''I was just kidding, sweetie.''

I walked to the kitchen and grabbed the first thing I saw out of the fridge. ''Why was he here though?'' I asked her. ''Oh, well he told me to tell you he wasn't going to be able to go to school with you tomorrow.''

I stopped eating for a second. As my mother kept on talking it felt as if my heart was ripped out and got pounded into a fine powder. As if feeling guilty wasn't enough of a punishment. ''I'm sorry mom but, I'm going out now.''

My mom turned to me with a confused expression. ''What? Right now? You should eat before anything else.'' She scolded me. I reached for my phone and walked past her towards the door. ''I'm sorry, I-I forgot to tell you but I had plans with someone today. I'm going now.'' I quickly put my shoes back on and opened the door to go outside. I heard my mom say something but I pretended not to hear it and said goodbye. Quickly I walked out of the street. Mom's going to be angry with me later but right now, I really need to see Green.

I pulled out my phone and texted him

'Red: Green, is there anything wrong?

Red: Can I come to your house today?

Red: What's your exact address again?'

I went to the park and found myself walking over to the swings. I sat down as I was waiting for a reply from him. I fidgeted with my phone case while intensely looking at my unchanging screen. I felt more nervous as the minutes passed by and finally, two blue check marks were seen. Three moving dots.

Nothing.

Gah, what is he doing? This is annoying, he's seen the text message, he started to type but... He's ignoring me? I subconsciously started squeezing my phone out of frustration, almost cracking and breaking the device. I took a deep breath to try to calm myself down but I still felt my eye twitch when I looked at the lack of a response on my screen.

Just answer me already!

Maybe he just doesn't want to see me after all? What if he hates me? He has reasons to. I'm not the most likable person in the world. He might hate me. I haven't been the best friend in the world the past week and I swear I don't intentionally blame it on this every time but it might be because of Yellow.

It feels slightly uncomfortable, talking or thinking about Yellow. A dead person. I should stop doing that so often to make sure I stay sane.

Okay, back to reality.

I looked back at my phone.

'Red: Hello? Is everything okay?

Red: I accept your apology if you wanted to know that.'

The message was delivered and received. Read. Dot... Dot... Dot.

Notification.

'Green: I am okay'

That's all. I felt relieved yet disappointed. Confused about his way of acting yet I felt like I understood him completely. I don't get it. I lightly swung myself on the swing.

'Red: Can I come to your house?'

I kept on glancing at my phone and every time I got disappointed. I knew he saw my text but this is twice in a row already. I only wanted a simple answer. The sky had turned dark gray color by now and the wind had gotten stronger. Honestly, it was a choice between waiting here, going to his house right now or facing my mom's wrath. I mean, some pre-fall rain wasn't that bad compared to... I shivered, not only because of the cold but also because of the thought of how angry my mom was going to be.

I jumped off the swing and landed on the ground with a thump. I barely made it without falling on my knees (or butt). If I remembered correctly, his house was near the outskirts of town, somewhere in the general direction of Gold's house. A little farther away than that. If I was going to get lost, I could always go to Gold's.

Oh wait, he's not at home. He's still over at Crystal's house.

Let's just hope for the best then.

I got out of the park and walked down the street with my phone in hand. I took a glance at the time and it read: '16:34'. It wasn't that late yet, luckily. I kept on walking to the direction of his house but then started wondering.

Why was I even doing this? If it starts to rain now, it'll be because of this whole situation I'm going to get a cold. A part of me thought: ''You have to apologize and make sure he's alright.'' But a different part of me thought: ''He said he was okay. Just go home, it's not worth the effort.'' It's scary really. It's not clear to me what was right. I just, feel like I've been babysitting him the entire school year up until right now. I could just leave him be for once. He's overreacting.

I stop dead in my tracks. What do I even think I'm doing? I felt the much-anticipated rain pour down on me and the distinct smell of rain (did rain even have a smell?) enter my nostrils. I was about to try and find a classmate's house while basing the location on nothing other than a vague memory of them telling me the directions. Cold water was seeping through my clothes and I still have no reply from the man in question. This was ridiculous.

I turned my phone off and put it in my pocket. I've had enough. I wiped the rainwater off my face and

kept walking.

1228 words

Woops, missed a week. But I pre-wrote next week's update and a bit for the week after. So, I'll do my best!   d( ・'ω・')

Bye for now!

~Pencil