philip

Phil's heart was beating so fast it was beginning to make his stomach squirm. Those deep brown eyes were so very close. They reminded him of melting chocolate, which is exactly how his entire body felt at this moment. For some reason, his face felt pulled towards the brown haired boy.

"Yo Howell! I know you're out there! I saw you run!"

"Shit... shit shit shit," Dan murmured and pulled away just before their lips touched. Phil's hopes vanished just as quickly as they came.

"Don't. Make. A sound." Dan put a finger over his lips. Phil nodded.

"I'm gonna kill you, Howell, and I suggest you come take it like a man."

Phil watched as his friend furiously bit at his bottom lip. God, what if they find Dan and I together? He thought. Everyone would think that we were... Well...

"Dan," Phil's voice cracked slightly. "I'm scared."

"It's okay. Just keep quiet. Hopefully they won't find us."

"But your name, on the sign-"

"Yes, I know I know. That is a minor inconvenience, but it'll be fine. It's okay." Phil's breathing picked up. "Hey, Phil it's okay. We'll be okay."

"Howell! Don't be a pussy!"

Dan winced at the words. Phil felt like he was going to burst into tears. The bullies definitely outnumbered them. They could beat Dan and Phil to a pulp in their sleep. He didn't want to be hurt, he wanted to go home.

"C'mon Danny boy! We're gonna find you eventually!"

They were getting closer.

"Fuck," Dan murmured. "Alright Phil. On the count of three, we're gonna run. We're going to run like our life counts on it, because it might. Don't turn back, just follow me. Got it?" Phil nodded.

"Good," Dan said. "One, Two, Three!"

They bolted out of the fort, practically breaking the sound barrier. "There they are! Go after them!" Phil heard behind him as he sprinted.

Phil's chest and throat was on fire and Dan kept yelling "Fucking run!" Phil's stomach was tying itself into knots. He felt like he was 6 years old and had just turned off the basement lights and was running from whatever the hell was behind him. Pure terror.

The trees fell behind them as they ran. They stumbled across the rocks and sticks that were sprinkled on the forest ground. Phil looked at the boy who ran ahead of him, his wild brown hair flying backwards. He smiled a bit, mostly to calm himself down but also because he had finally found someone. Someone who cared. Someone who wanted Phil enough to basically risk his life and lead him away from the bullies just because he wanted to. All his life he was shoved aside, pushed into shadows. He was never important to anyone, not even himself. For once in his life, he felt accepted.

Dan began to slow to a stop. "I think we lost them," he said. "But I suggest we not wait to find out."

"Dan, about what happened, in the fort-"

"Don't. Not now."

"We can't pretend like it didn't happen-"

"Shut up okay?" Dan snapped. "I made a mistake. I made a fucking mistake."

Phil realized he wasn't just talking about the almost-kiss.

"I should have never let you sit on the damn bus seat with me because, guess what," Dan growled, "My life is in danger thanks to you! My entire high school is after me because I decided to FUCKING catch feelings for the new boy."

Phil looked at him with a loss for words.

"C-catch feelings?" Phil repeated.

"No," Dan's eyes widened. "I never said that."

"Yes you did, Dan."

"NO I DIDN'T," He yelled. He looked as though he might cry. Phil wanted to hug him, to wrap his arms around him until he felt better, but he knew this wasn't the right time.

"Just... leave me alone," Dan whispered.

"What? No Dan I don't want-"

"LEAVE ME THE HELL ALONE!" Dan yelled. Phil winced at his words, he had never seen or heard Dan this furious.

Phil turned and ran away, tears streaming down his face. He hated his life. He hated his school, and he hated those bullies.

Most of all, he hated Dan.

---

sorry for not updating, and making such a shit chapter. hope you enjoyed.