His Sorrow, His Pain

I didn't think it would hurt me this way, I didn't think much of it to begin with. I didn't think it would go anywhere, he wasn't her type; or maybe so I thought.

When Lucy first brought a guy home I wanted to knock his lights out. He was my height, slim, hair pushed back, deep voice.

I knew it wouldn't last, but I just couldn't sleep at night for a while. This new emotion bubbling in me, it wasn't anger, it was jealousy. I was jealous! But I soon buried this new found emotion under all the rest, and let it go. It would build up and eventually burst out, this I knew, but I didn't care at the time.

Lucy was no different around us, just one of the guys. When he was around, she changed. George seemed fine with her dating him, of course he did. He didn't care for her like I did. I would have done anything for it to be different; but I can't.

She made an announcement of the 21st of May. I can still clearly remember the day. She held up a ring, a sign that those long months that turned to years of dating, paid off. She never dated anyone else. Never gave me a chance, to tell her how I felt. Or, maybe she did, and I didn't act upon it. I hated my self for it.

They were ecstatic, George, Holly, and Quill. I sat in the background, hiding in the shadows. She saw me, hurt pierced her eyes when she saw I didn't react like the other. So I just stood and smiled, using an old facade. They knew me too well, saw right through it. So, I exited the room.

Then I was standing there, two men away from him. I was wearing a tux, as was George, and the rest. The groom standing feet away, the doors opening slowly; then they saw her. The groom had broke down in tears of happiness, joy. I felt lightheaded.

For a moment, I imagined she was walking to me.

For just one moment no one else was here. She was in a stunning white gown, heading for me. And I, Anthony J. Lockwood was the happiest man on earth...

But all dreams come to an end... and this one came to early. I saw the groom weep, and just like that, my hatred washed away, for I knew something now. She was going to be fine. He would love her, protect her, keep her safe and happy for the rest of her days. I trusted him.

No, I would never be fully ok with this.
No, I would never fully move on, trying to find love somewhere else, although small, would be a lie. I knew this. But I let his friend have the best day of her life as they say. I got to dance with her, a slow dance.

When it finished I said very quietly, "my love, I wish only happiness for you and those to come. Im happy, yes, but also sad, but knowing your in his hands puts me at ease, be safe Luce." I the, pulled away after kissing her cheek, I smiled at her. Her eyes were wide, she finally understood.

But, she then settled with a sad smile, and we parted ways. She moved out yes, and she did start a family of her own. She had three kids with I grew to love dearly.

The days flew to months and to years and I did not marry. I somehow couldn't. My hair turned grey and my skin wrinkled; I became slower.

Then one day it hit me, I was like Fairfax in a way. I found my one and only love; my true love. And I never moved on. No, of course I didn't kill her, but I never really stopped loving her.

Her final day came before mine. Her final breath was her hardest, and easiest. With her children, grandchildren, husband, friends, and small family gathered round, she passed.

I didn't hold her hand or hold her while the lights burned out of her pretty little green eyes that still burned bright after all these years.
That was for her husband to do, I just said my final wishes and goodbyes, and let him take over. She was his and he was hers after all.

Oh how I miss her. I miss the old days. The days where i could hear a mixture of her relentless yelling at the Skull and bacon frying on the stove while reading a gossip magazine. Back when hunting ghosts was all we knew, and being afraid was an odd feeling.

The days are gone and now I sit here like the old man I am. Waiting to see her again, holding her hand out, welcoming me to a better place where we came be young again. To a place that I can hold her again.