The Break Up

LOCKWOOD

"I understand... but.. does it have to be this way?" My hand rubbed the back of my neck, my heart pounded.
"Yes, but please, I don't want it to be awkward between us. Just, like old times."
"Lucy, it will never be like old times. I love you too much to go back."
"Im sorry, but I feel we should take a break. We need to, well, meet other people. Date other people. Expand a bit, you know?"
"Not really.."
Silence...
"Lockwood, are you alright with this?"
"No, why should I be? You're dumping me, we're breaking up! We're over..."
"Maybe not forever, but for right now I feel it's whats best."
"Do you still love me?"
"Of course-"
"Then don't leave me." My hand reached up, brushing her cheek. She sighed, nuzzled into it and then pushed it down.
"Lockwood... I'm sorry, I really am."
"Lucy, I just," I sniffed, clenched my hands to fists "it's just that, Ive never let anyone else in like this before."
"We're still friends, we still live and work together. I'll always be here for you, just not in a romantic way." Her voice broke at the end of it, tears threatened to fall down her gorgeous face.
"So..."
"So."
"Im gonna go.."
"..."
She left.
I looked down at my hands, white knuckles clenched tight. I finally let the tears fall, and with them came powerful sobs that racked my body, I fell to my knees holding my head.
Shes gone, you scared her off, look what you did!
"No, no I love her I do. She said she loves me. She does."
Are you sure?

I lay on my bed, hours have passed since she was in here. I lay there in my pants only, sweater, shirt, coat; everything on the floor. Even though I was huddled under two blankets I was shivering, curled into a ball.
"She loves me, she does. And... and I'll get her back," I sniffled "I'll remind her of all the fun we had." I smiled, memories flooding back.

"Don't let me fall!" Lucy shrieked, I grabbed her hand and pulled her close.
"Never, Love." She giggled, wrapping her arms around my thin waist.
"You better not! Or, there will be no snuggles tonight!" I gasped
"No!"
"Yeah, and... and I wont play with your hair!" She giggled, trying and failing to keep a straight face.
"You monster! You dastardly woman!" She erupted with laughter.
"Oh I wouldn't," her voice was soft. I rest my forehead on hers. "I love you too much.... can you promise me something?"
"Anything my love."
"Hold onto me and never let me go."
"So, do I have to hold you while you're on the toilet or...?" She smacked my arm.
"Oh, you know thats not what I meant!" She smiled, kissing my nose.
"Of course I promise."
"Good! Now, lets skate!"

Tears ran down my face, I remembered how the snow fell that day. Light and fluffy. It collected itself in her beautiful short hair. Her cheeks shaded a tint of rose, she was a piece of art. I loved holding her before bed, running my hand up and down her back. Waking up to her face, her smile, her...

LUCY
Its for the best.... its for the best.... it hurts. Oh god it hurts. Its cold without him, its empty in my little attic. I haven't slept up here in months. Always his room, with him. Him. Oh god it feels like I'm back in Tooting, back in my flat. All alone.

God Lucy just get over it, it's all your fault anyways! All my fault. This is all my fault! No! Why did I mess it up, we were so happy. So, so happy.

"Woah!" Lockwood said before I threw a handful of leaves in his face. I turned to run when a strong pair of arms picked me up, sending me back. I landed softly in the leaves, then before I knew it, dozens of leaves were being shoved on me. Lockwood covered my body entirely. I giggled, he parted the leaves away from my face, bent down and kissed my cheek.
"Thats it?" I wrapped my arms around his face, pulling him down and snogging him right then and there. He turned bright red but kissed me back non the less.
"I love you, darling."
"Aww, you took my line!" He cradled me in his arms as the sun set. We didn't say much, just held each other.

I sighed, pulling my knees to my chest.
"I love you, so much... but its for the best. Isn't it?"