{001}

Night of the Comet
————

"I hope that I see the world as you did cause I know a life with love is a life that's been lived." 
Ed Sheeran {Supermarket Flowers}
————

" —Ed Sheeran {Supermarket Flowers}————

-

Just after the break of dawn, America slipped out of her home with a note for her siblings or Jenna—whoever found it first—telling them she'd gone for a morning jog. It was a cool morning, the wind gentle and refreshing once she began to feel a bit too warm. She'd already circled the neighbourhood a few times over before she made her way to the cemetery, venturing through rusted gates and maneuvering around the other graves until she spotted her parents' and the orchids she'd lain there a few days before. They were dying now, and the girl made an absent note to grab two more from the vase of them at home as she picked up the dead ones.

She crouched before their stones, feeling the usual anguish settle in her chest but even as tears pricked her eyes, she could breathe a little better. "It's not perfect but. . . I think I can start to see the other end of everything. Of. . . of a world without you, I guess," she whispered, "I mean, I know I kinda have to but up till now, I've been in denial. Like, at first, I used to come here thinking these stones would just be gone, a-and I'd run home in a panic and you guys would just be there waiting, wondering what the hell's wrong with me." America huffed a morose laugh, letting her head hang for a moment as she tried to swallow back her tears. 

"I can always hope but. . . I know. I wake up every morning remembering." There were a few lingering moments of silence before the onyx-haired girl pushed herself to her feet, about to turn away when she noticed a blur in the corner of her eye. Curious, she followed it only to smile with a tilt of her head. "Hi." There was the raven she'd been seeing the last week or so, during every visit since their first encounter and that time in the woods. Wary but trusting given that the creature hadn't been anything shy of sweet, she held her arm out. It croaked hoarsely as it lifted off the gravestone with a single beat of its wing, landing on her forearm a moment later. 

America watched it with wide, wondering eyes as it shifted almost gently, seemingly conscious of its sharp talons. With her opposite hand, she smoothed its ruffled feathers with a persisting smile. "I thought it was just coincidental seeing you but I wonder if you look for me too." It crooned softly, clicking its beak as it tilted its head to peer up at her and she cocked her head in much of the same way. "You know, you kinda remind me of someone." 

-

The rest of the day passed by easily enough, school nothing more than a blink before America properly settled into herself, finding herself at a local café with Bonnie, Elena and Caroline. The girls around her were none the wiser—for which she was grateful—as she turned over their reason for meeting up after school. Flyers advertising the comet to pass over later tonight and, by chance, the topic of their conversation now that she was out of her own head. "I was talking to Grams and she said the comet is a sign of impending doom."