{019}

The Last Day
———
"Sometimes, someone comes into your life, so unexpectedly, takes your heart by surprise and changes your life."
Anonymous

———

-

"Tonight is the full moon. We should assume that Klaus is prepared to break the curse." Elijah said, standing in the parlour of the Salvatore Boarding House, surrounded by the Salvatores but only one Gilbert sister. "Elena said that the Sun and the Moon curse is fake? That it's actually just a curse placed on Klaus." Stefan said, a hidden question in his statement. Elijah nodded in confirmation, noting the surprise of the brothers. "Klaus is a vampire born of a werewolf bloodline. The curse has kept his werewolf aspect from manifesting.

"But if he breaks it. . . he'll be a true hybrid." Stefan frowned, glancing at his girlfriend as Damon stepped forward, voicing his displeasure. "Then why are we letting him break the curse? We can kill him today. With Bonnie." Elena made a noise of disagreement, shaking her head. "Damon, not happening. Bonnie will die before Klaus does—that's what Mer said." The man rolled his eyes skyward, annoyance evident. "Yeah, yeah, if—wait, why doesn't Raven just kill him? She has the power, she's stronger than Bonnie."

Elena pursed her lips, holding her tongue as Elijah tilted his head in a silent inquiry. Stefan glanced at him, a look of contemplation on his face. "When Bonnie first got her powers, she was going to show us what she could do—Damon was testing her—but it's Damon, America's protective over him, especially with Bonnie involved. Bonnie did a spell and we all felt the power surge but nothing happened because America stopped her." Damon's smile was smug and proud. "She didn't even burn a calorie.

"She could easily waste Klaus." Elijah briefly frowned, a flash of concern in his eyes before his expression was artfully blank. It was Elena who spoke up, shifting unsurely. "I don't think. . ." She trailed off, unable to find the words but surprisingly, Stefan picked up where she left off. "She won't kill Klaus." Damon's smile dissipated, a scowl replacing it as he looked at his brother, eyes holding his demand. "And why the hell not?" The younger Salvatore glanced knowingly at Elena, understanding what she had been hesitant to say.

"The same reason she wouldn't ever kill you, Damon. Remember Katherine's backstory? Her sister and Klaus were in love—if her and Mer are the same person just like her and Nora. . ." He let his words hang suspended in the air, watching the realization trickle in. "You have got to be kidding me. If Raven doesn't want Klaus dead. . ." He wouldn't die, went unsaid but Elena shook her head, "No, we talked about it. She won't be directly involved but she knows he has to die." The brunette could only hope no one picked up on her lie.

-

"They meant well." Eleanora's ear twitched in annoyance, the wolf growling her disagreement as she sat at the mouth of the cave. He never does. Niklaus knew she was talking of one man, in particular. The young woman had never liked Mikael and he supposed she never would, a fact the man couldn't blame her for. His trust in his stepfather had all but waned, the action's of tonight destroying the last of it. "I am sorry, Eleanora." She didn't turn to him but her low growl stuttered to a stop.