{011}

Katerina
———

"Love leaves a memory no one can steal. Death leaves a heartache no one can heal."
Anonymous
———

-

"I don't like this." America scowled, eyeing Rose with distaste. "I don't like you." Damon nudged her side a bit forcefully but her expression didn't falter, "What? I don't! Since when do we take home strays?" The man levelled her with a deadpanned look, "You don't have to like her, she's not staying. Now, listen." The young woman's scowl deepened but she bit her tongue as she sunk back into the couch. "Okay, you have to understand I only know what I've picked up over the years and I don't know what's true and what's not true."

America already felt she was wasting her time because what good was information if it was as good as a lie? She sat forward, fully intending to stand and leave when Rose continued, catching her attention. "It's the problem with all this vampire crap but Klaus, I know he's real." She paused, staring unblinkingly at the floor as the name bounced around in her mind, the young woman mouthing it with furrowed brows. Klaus. "Klaus," Something about it was familiar, striking a deep-seated recognition the same way Elijah and Katherine had.

"He's one of the Originals—first gen vamp and a legend, basically." Damon supplied, finding a question where there hadn't been. "Like Elijah?" She murmured, remembering the man in mention by the side of another. . . his brother. The man was handsome, even more so when he gave a dimpled smile, pressing a kiss to the back of her hand as blue-gray gleamed up at her. "No," Rose interrupted her memory, "Elijah was like the easter bunny compared to Klaus. He's the oldest." 

Corrections to both of those statements burned insistently on the tip of her tongue but for a reason the young woman was growing all too familiar with, the words lodged themselves in the back of her throat and Elena filled the quiet in place of her. "So, you're saying the oldest vampire in history is coming after me?" America side-eyed her sister and could have kissed her. She knew Elena knew that Klaus was looking for both of them—would be for reasons the brunette didn't understand yet but didn't take away from the know.

Elena had witnessed her interaction with Elijah and could only guess that by association, America knew more than she was letting on but by ignoring that tidbit and letting someone else figure out that the eldest Gilbert was on that list as well, she was saving her sister the trouble of answering questions she didn't have satisfactory answers to. "Klaus will come after you and your sister." America feigned surprise, pressing her lips into a thin line as the brothers frowned, exchanging unsure glances. "Why?"

The woman let her head fall back against the back of the couch, exhaling slowly. "Same reason the rest did."

-

"So, are we gonna talk about it or. . ." America trailed off as Elena only shrugged in response, appearing genuinely unaffected. "Would I like to know what the hell is going on? Yes, but it's up to you what and when you wanna tell me just. . . no lies?" The eldest of the pair frowned as the car slowed to a stop by the path that led the Fell's church ruins and beneath that, the tomb. "'Lena, I—" she pursed her lips as a defeated sigh escaped her nose. "Okay, long story short. . ," or as short as she could make it. 

America told Elena the more relevant bits of it. She told her what she was and who she'd slowly become, why it was so easy to evade death and how she could do magic as easily as could. She explained the interaction with Elijah and her history with Katherine were similar situations to the Salvatores. A simple once upon a time ago and how she'd known him in another life. The onyx-haired young woman didn't hint at Elijah not being entirely dead or that she knew extra and actually truthful information about Klaus.