{036}

The Murder Of One
———

"Sometimes in moments of weakness, I want you back in my arms but all of the bruises remind me, the past is where you belong."
—Matt Hansen {WHERE YOU BELONG}
———

"—Matt Hansen {WHERE YOU BELONG}———

-

"Ugh, get out." America had barely walked into her room where she found Stefan sprawled on her bed and flipping through her sketchbook. He hadn't even opened his mouth and had hardly looked at her but frankly, it was too early in the day for her to deal with his meddling. "Wow, missed you too, Nora." She glared at the vampire, disinterested. "Mm, you've got a funny way of showing it when—" she sped over to the vampire, admittedly startling him as she pulled open his jacket to snatch the stake inside, "—you carved this up with its eleven other brothers."

Stefan blinked slowly, dumbfounded, before his face twisted into an exasperated glare. He didn't even attempt to get the stake back whether for the fact that he knew it would be fruitless or that he simply didn't care enough. Whatever it may be, she didn't feel inclined to ask. "How did you know?" Other than seeming a little put out at being discovered so quickly, there was no urgency in his body language as he remained reclined against her pillows. "It came to me in a dream. What the hell are you doing with these?"

America tucked the stake into her back pocket, the other hand on her hip as she regarded the vampire with a frown. "Honestly? Just seeing how much I could get away with." She cast him an irritated glance because that being the sheer simplicity of the chaos he had dug up was mildly infuriating. "You can't be serious." As Stefan stared back at her, green eyes unblinking, she, unfortunately, registered the fact that he was, indeed, serious. "Listen—" She scowled, "Oh, I am listening, Stefan." 

"—this is me coming clean—" her eyebrows shot up in disbelief, "—because Bonnie may or may not have stolen one of the White Oak stakes and disappeared and Finn just so happens to be in town and I'm quitting while I'm ahead." America blinked at him, struggling to comprehend everything the man was telling her and how it was so, so close to going wrong. "So, you're telling me you lost one of the only weapons that could kill an entire sire line of vampires around the same time the suicidal sibling is in town when all the siblings are still linked?"

Stefan feigned thinking it over before nodding, nonchalant even as she could see a bit of apprehension creeping in. "Pretty much." The young woman stared unblinkingly at the man through her lashes before her eyes rolled so hard, it almost hurt. "You have got to be joking." Much to her further irritation, the vampire shook his head despite the rhetorical nature of her statement.

~

After sending Stefan to clean up his mess, descending the stairs to find Damon cut open and strung up in one of their spare rooms by bear traps over a tarp meant to catch the blood and save the wood beneath was the rotten cherry on top of a rather bitter cake. "What. The. Hell?" Rebekah and Klaus glanced back at her, the man barely wasting a moment before pointing at his sister who, in turn, shot him an unimpressed glare. "Stefan pissed me off—" America's eyes narrowed dangerously, eyes glinting amber. "Welcome to the joys of Stefan Salvatore