{018}

Klaus
———

"I found the greatest love of all inside of me. The greatest love of all is easy to achieve learning to love yourself. It is the greatest love of all."
Whitney Houston
———

"—Whitney Houston———

-

Eleanora exhaled breathily, her body boiling as it prepared itself for a drastic transformation of being. The stone-cold cave floor did little to cool her down but the cool air of the night wind gusting in from the cave's open entrance. As the moon rose higher, lighting the darkest parts of the forest and its pale light spilling into the shallowest points of the cave, her bones began to break and reshape, and her muscles shortened and stretched. By no means was it painless but living like this for nearly a decade, one had no other option but to learn and adapt.

And the young woman learned that to fight the change meant it was slow and agonizing and as her senses strengthened in her strongest form, she felt the potent torture of every cell of every muscle as it mutated and changed, felt the hard tissue of her bones soften only partially, breaking the rest of the way rather than bending and shifting the way they could. Others had yet to learn, however, as amidst her transformation, she could hear their screams echoing in the night.

 The winds carried them on for miles upon miles until faint whispers of their screams reached the ears of another set of caves isolated by sight and scent, ones that housed the villagers of the land. All but one slept, instead perched by the mouth of the cave embedded in the hills. The woods before him were vast, stretching on for miles with not a sign of animal life in sight but even after the shouts died down, he knew the wolves roamed beneath the light of the brightest moon. 

And yet. . . a voice called to him. It always did on these frightening nights of agony and danger, lulling him towards the entrance of the cave when his family was asleep but he never ventured past the safety of the entrance and the jagged rocks sure to bar any wolf from those inside. This time, however, he couldn't fight the urge. Not as the wind seemed to curl around him, pushing him almost insistently to the forest below. A victim to his own curiosity, he went with one last backward glance to the dimly lit cave depths behind him.

-

Bonnie faking her death had been as much of a surprise as Alaric being possessed by Klaus was—crippling. America had stopped in the hallway of the man's very apartment, intending to grace Katherine with her presence until Damon called her to let her know what an utter disaster their confrontation with Klaus had been but as always, nice things were well out of her reach. "Are you serious?" He had been and she was unamused, peeved enough that she hung up on Damon shortly after, throwing open the door to the apartment to scowl at the brunette inside.