{014}

Dinner Party
———

"As you wish,"
Princess Bride
———

-

"I do love being the most fragile in our friend group," America muttered, her slight displeasure evident as she trailed after Damon on the path she knew led to the Fells' ruins. Between her friends and family, she was never alone and always kept busy after the week's last few events, including the fact that Tyler had left town—which was the only thing Jenna thought was on her plate but even her aunt handled her with kid's gloves. As if they expected her to break apart at any given moment. 

Oddly and fortunately enough, her breaking point was a little further than that. "Don't be dramatic," the man tossed over his shoulder, slowing slightly to allow her to catch up so he could throw an arm around her shoulders, "you're the toughest one out of all of us." A half-hearted scoff left her lips as she rolled her eyes. "Oh, is that why you're dropping me off with Ric till you get done with whatever it is that you're doing?" Said man, her aunt and, curiously enough, Elijah waited for them at the fence that separated them from the clearing of crumbling stone beyond. 

"No, it's cause you're unstable and you cope horribly on your own." Despite the twitch of her lips and the urge to protest, she didn't bother knowing that what had been said was undeniably true. It didn't lessen her annoyance at constantly having a chaperone but America genuinely enjoyed the company. "Exactly," the man quipped smugly as they stopped just shy of earshot from the group of three, "It's just a few hours so try not to get into trouble." The young woman gave a noncommittal hum, smiling fondly as Damon pulled her into a side hug and pressed a kiss to her temple.

He had yet to realize he was doing it and America kept quiet about it, waiting for the moment he would. She'd know the second he took to avoiding her in hopes of escaping the inevitable teasing and the thought of it ignited a glint of mischief in her eyes as she took the time to watch the man go, lingering for a few beats before she turned to where Alaric stood, Jenna and Elijah further ahead, her aunt caught up in her tour. "Hey, kiddo." He greeted her with a small smile, a curious tilt to his lips as he glanced pointedly in the direction she'd come from.

America understood the question even though he had yet to voice it. "Whatever you think you see, you probably do." She remarked with a shrug at the surprised look she received. "Ric, I don't know how much you know about Damon's past but I look like Damon's ex-wife. It's not exactly platonic with a capital 'P' we agreed that's it better that way." Never mind that she was the man's ex-wife. No one needed to know that little tidbit—not yet—as she didn't have a credible explanation aside from the truth she wasn't ready to make common knowledge yet.

"It's always complicated with you guys, isn't it?" Alaric questioned as he pocketed his hands in his jacket, the pair observing Jenna and Elijah. The latter was talking animately—mostly with her hands as her back was to them—and Elijah, evident in his body language and attentive gaze, was listening to every word. "An understatement, Ric. What's Elijah doing here?" The man had little more to offer than a shrug, "No idea. He says he's pretty interested in the landmarks around town and I don't think he's lying but you never know.

"I feel like there's some ulterior motive but since he and Elena made their deal, it's not likely to involve us." America hummed, tilting her head as she focused on Elijah, knowing full well the man could hear them. She knew he wouldn't look in their direction unprompted, however, not when he wasn't meant to hear them given their distance but if something she said caught his attention. . . "So, the ruins of the founding families' homes, the church, the tomb. . . they're all pretty sacred, aren't they?"