{012}

The Light Of The Moon
"The worst kind of sad is the sad where you try to ignore it and then it gets so bad that one day you just break down and you can't take it anymore."

On a whim, America had left town for a few days, leaving little else but a note behind for her friends and siblings and a text to Jenna that she was staying at Caroline's for the weekend. It was vague, and for Jenna, an obvious lie, but the onyx-haired girl felt the need to get away, even if just for a little while. So much had happened in the last week alone and the town itself felt cursed that America needed to get out of it and breathe. Barely a week she was gone to Atlanta, visiting a witch Sheila had recommended her to see.

Lyla, a distant relative of the Bennetts, was helpful as America knew the Bennetts well and was under the guise that the young woman was a witch herself. 

~

She didn't return home until it was the night of the full moon and even then, only Caroline knew she was back, meeting her a few hours in the ruins of the old Lockwood estate before sunset and the moon rose. "So, how was your soul-searching?" America secured the chains to the roughened, concrete walls with a grunt, glancing back to look at Caroline where the blonde was leaning against the wall innocently. "Enlightening." She deadpanned, standing as she wiped a bead of sweat from her brow. 

"Good, I'm glad it worked out for you, you know leaving your friends, family and boyfriend to guess when you'll be back and making your best friend lie to your aunt about it." America closed her eyes for a breath, counting slowly to ten before she responded. "Caroline, I know that it doesn't look like a lot from your perspective but from mine? It is not okay and am not okay and I am dealing with it about as best I can but this god-awful town is suffocating so yeah, I went 'soul-searching' for a breather so I'd stay a little sane."

Pointedly, she held up the chain yet to be unattached, "And while I went off for me, I still ended being the last thing on my mind. I went to a witch, she spelled these chains so Tyler could have an easier go during his shift." It was another lie. Lyla herself didn't spell the chains—America had done it herself—but the witch had shown her how to better control her magics and avoid the emotional outbursts. She held the last one out for Caroline to take, dropping it the moment the blonde's hand curled around it. 

She inclined her head to the wall, "Attach it, I'm going to grab something from my car." She wasn't going to do any such thing, having made it a point to bring all she'd needed so there was no back and forth. "Mer—" America made an irritated noise, mostly at herself. "Caroline, please, just," she huffed a breath, pinching the bridge of her nose as she stood at the gate, "I'm sorry, I just need a breather. I'll be back."

~

The spells on the chains worked well to lessen Tyler's pain when he shifted but even as it numbed his mind, his body still felt the stress of the change. His bones broke and shifted beneath his skin and his appendages lengthened and shortened. For the few short hours he was a wolf, Caroline left America with him, retreating to where their vehicles were parked for both her safety and Tyler's. During then, the young woman sat with him, petting his sweat-damp fur as he lay on his side, breathing heavily in exertion.

"You're okay," she murmured on a mantra, "you're okay, baby." She soothed, unafraid even as her arm ached in an unpleasant reminder. All she got was a cracking whimper in return as drowsy, amber eyes peered up at her before they fluttered shut with a groan. An hour before sunrise, the body beneath her hands was naked skin as the boy shivered in the aftershocks of his Shift, soft cries leaving his lips as he was weaned off the spell and the soreness of his muscles and achiness of his bones registered in his mind.