{051}

Catch Me If You Can
———

"I don't wanna say goodbye cause this one means forever. Now you're in the stars and six feet's never felt so far. Here I am alone between the heavens and the embers."
—Benson Boone {In the Stars}
———

-

-

Gravel crunched softly under her feet as she walked lightly along the path, shining eyes taking in a house that had once been a home. Faint memories appeared in her mind's eye. . . times of joy and excitement. Moments where she'd drag her brother and sister onto the dock floating at the shore of the lake, each taking turns as they leapt into the water, laughing all the while. Moments where the siblings celebrated Christmas with their mom and dad, decorating the home thoroughly and her always being the one to put the star upon the tree—she'd have a fit otherwise.

She hadn't gone inside the lakehouse yet but in there she knew she'd find photos of herself and her siblings, of her parents, of Jenna and John. Photos not yet filtered through or hidden away as they hadn't come to this home in some time—a year and a half for herself even though Jeremy and Elena had visited in recent weeks. Inside was a life that had been everything two years ago, a life that had been hers but now. . . it wasn't in reach anymore. It was unattainable, not only because she was no longer that person anymore but because many of the people in it were gone and the ones living had changed.

Elena was a vampire now and Jeremy was a part of a supernatural group of hunters. She herself was Mother Nature. It was an odd thought to realize that even if they had been elsewhere in the world, they would've found themselves right where they were now regardless. There was irony in the fact that a pair of vampire hunters had bred magnets for the very things they loathed. One had become one, the other was the reason they continued to exist though the last, she supposed, followed in her parents' footsteps. Still, as different as they were now, it didn't stop her from wishing for a simpler life.

She had wandered inside the house now, finding it empty but organized and clean and filled to the brim with memories. There was her mother with Jenna, young and grinning happily at the camera—a picture she had taken actually. She remembered that day they'd gone on vacation to the beach. She'd just gotten a camera from John for her 7th birthday and she had taken pictures of everything and everyone that would stay still long enough. Nearly all the pictures on a particular wall were from that camera alone in the years until she grew out of it.

And the highlight of them was one of herself, seven, proud and missing her two front teeth as she held up the camera, tied bow and all, for everyone to see. "You were a cute kid." She would've been startled by the sudden voice if she hadn't heard the man, as silent as he had tried to be, approaching from outside. America softly hummed, reaching out to trail her fingers along the frame that held a family portrait, feeling an ache deep in her chest at the sight of familiar faces now forever lost. "Everything in this house is frozen in time before it all fell apart and I'm not sure if it hurts more or less."