{003}

Bloodlines

"Even the bravest hero loses hope. Even the good one goes bad. Even the strongest one can't save everyone. Even the best hunter dies."

The baby blue convertible tore down the highway, the driver as relaxed as he could be

The baby blue convertible tore down the highway, the driver as relaxed as he could be. In his reclined passenger seat, somehow asleep through all the roaring winds, was America. Elena was in the backseat, unplanned company and still knocked unconscious from the car crash she'd found herself in. Whereas America had agreed to come with him after he pestered her, putting his all into convincing her because he couldn't stand that empty look in her eyes after Logan. He hated it almost as much as he did the yellowing bruises around her neck.

He'd almost been too late and that reality plagued him and his every waking thought, reignited with every glimpse of the bruises. If he had been a few seconds later, Logan would have crushed her trachea and Damon would've tried to heal her before she drew her last breath, would have forced that blood down her throat but be forced to watch her die anyway. And then she would've come back as a vampire and he didn't know if she'd choose to turn or not but it wasn't a life he wished for her. No matter how much he glorified it, it was a damning life.

So, as he intended to take a drive to Georgia, he decided it was good for them both if America tagged along but coming across Elena in a flipped car hadn't been a part of the plan. He was sure the brunette would be furious when she learned they were a ways away from Mystic Falls but he'd leave the older Gilbert to deal with her sister.

~

Damon had brought them to a bar and naturally, because apparently, the bartender was a witch who had no qualms about serving minors drinks, America had drank until the chaos of the last few weeks were nothing but a blur. Now, stumbling about and giggling about something or other, she was paying the price. The eldest plopped herself down next to her sister, giving her a lopsided smile the brunette mirrored almost to a tee, just as drunk. "Having fun?" America giggled as she popped a fry into her mouth, "Mhm, tons. Where's Damon?"

Elena frowned, blinking with an all-too-serious look of concentration as she looked around the bar. "Uh, n-no idea. Why?" The brunette hiccuped. America smiled absently at her fry, tracing an invisible pattern with it around her plate. "He's the DD. Why're asking why?" Her sister made a funny noise and shrugged, "You two seem close is all." The eldest snickered at the near-empty plate, missing the implication entirely. "I like to think so but not all the time. 'S confusing sometimes, you know, cause he'll be nice when I'm sad but then, I mean. . . look at what happened to Vicki and Lexi and Logan.

"Care too. I don't get why he does the things he does but I just, um, you get it?" Elena levelled her with a glossy-eyed, lost look. "No." America huffed, not bothering to elaborate further as she had lost her train of thought anyways. "Good. I'm gonna. . . gonna go find Damon." The girl staggered to her feet and Elena made a protesting noise when her sister pulled her to her feet. "Since when does 'I' equal 'we'?" The brunette whined. "Since he could be outside or inside. You check inside, I'll check outside. Report back in five minutes."