{026}

The Reckoning
———

"If the whole world was watching I'd still dance with you. Drive highways and byways to be there with you."
Niall Horan
———

"—Niall Horan———

-

"I hope you know what you're doing," Stefan murmured as the pair of them pulled up at the Witch House. They had arrived in Mystic Falls earlier that morning, taking two separate cars as America was very suspicious that Rebekah was mad at Stefan for some reason or other and didn't feel like being the buffer between them while she was still waiting for Klaus' presumably late reaction. The vampire had opted to drop her off before he went to meet the two siblings at the school. 

"Eh, not particularly but Elena did technically die that night so whatever the problem is, it's not because she's alive—which, please let him know before he kills her to get back at us, thank you." She opened the door and stepped out, holding it open for Meri before she closed it and leaned down to peer into the open window. "Call me if you need anything, okay?" He gave her a look of feigned exasperation, one she saw through instantly. "I think I'll be fine." America stared at him in silence until he relented, finally looking over at her.

"You and I both know a lot has changed since we left. . . so if you need anything, and I mean anything, you call me, okay?" The vampire exhaled softly, eyes rarely soft and grateful as he nodded his assent. "Okay." She mirrored his nod, satisfied with the resignation in his gaze. "Good." America leaned off the car, scooping Meri up as Stefan hummed in acknowledgement, driving off moments later. Within a minute, they were left alone as the car disappeared down the dirt road. 

Running her hands through her pup's fur, America turned to stare up at the house that seemed to have deteriorated more over the summer, with more plant life growing and curling around the peeling pillars. "Think we should fix this up?" Making so much as a dent in redeeming the home meant purchasing the property but the woman believed it would be a worthwhile investment at the very least for the spirits inside. Between her inheritances and finances unused in other lives, she had the funds to buy it from the city. 

She would have to talk to Carol about it when she was a little less terrified by the idea of seeing her family and friends again even though barely three months had passed. Stepping inside the house onto rotting wood, the dormant life inside flared near instantly at her presence and America couldn't decipher much of their words aside from their emotions, all of which ranged from disgust to excitement to reverence to all of the above. Only as a voice spoke up louder than the rest did the senseless chatter cease.

 "You are here to uncover the problem between Klaus and his lack of hybrids, I presume?" Although, it only paused long enough for the witch to be heard before there was another uproar, the spirits picking sides. The temperature dropped in response to the land's magic still being attuned to the witches and America didn't react to it or care to till Meri squirmed in her arms, not exactly freezing but certainly uncomfortable. She ran a soothing hand down her back as she glanced around the room, "Are you done yet?"